ii. the dunne brothers

Alexis did show up the next night, figuring she had nothing better to do other than worry about where she was going to live. She honestly thought about leaving Pittsburgh like her brother did, but where would she go and how would she get there?

She spun her glass on the table, staring down as the music played in the background. She wanted to go to California, as far away from Pennsylvania as she could get. She wanted the sun to shine on her face every day and to be steps away from the music scene of Los Angeles, but she couldn't afford to move. Not by herself, at least.

"Hey," a boy about my age greeted as he leaned his elbow on my table. "You look like you need a pick-me-up."

He pulled a small baggie out of his pocket under the table. Alexis looked at it.

"I can't afford that shit right now," she told him, her leg shaking. She wanted it, she needed it, but she needed to get out of Pittsburgh more.

"Don't worry about it," he told her. "First bump's on me."

"What's the catch?" She asked. This exact scenario is actually exactly how she met Derek. With him, there was always a catch.

"No catch," he told her. "This time."

"You'll bump some, too?"

"Hell yeah. Come with me," he told her, putting his hand on her back and walking her outside. Eddie, walking on stage to start setting up, saw her go with him. She walked back in, though, right as the set started. Alone this time.

The boy's name was Tyler. He went to the high school across town, which is why Alexis didn't know him. He was conventionally attractive and asked Alexis for her phone number. She gave it to him, and he said he'd reach out to her. Maybe it'll give her a free place to stay every now and then.

Alexis smoked two cigarettes during The Dunne Brothers' set with about two or three drinks. She was going to leave once it ended, but Eddie caught her outside.

"We're drinking at Billy's tonight," Eddie told her. "Want to come?"

"You look like you should be in The Beatles, is that on purpose?" Alexis asked, crossing her arms.

"You look like you should be in The Feminine Complex, is that on purpose?"

"Thank you," Alexis smiled. "Can I get a ride?"

"Absolutely," Eddie laughed, putting his hand on her back like he saw the other guy do in the bar. Alexis noticed. His hand felt warm on her open back. She climbed in the back of a minibus with the back seats down with Eddie. Billy sat in the front with another girl, and the other two guys sat in the back with them.

"I'm Graham, this is Warren," one of the boys introduced.

"I'm Camila," the girl smiled, looking back at her. "Welcome to the crowd."

"I'm the one that yells at you from the stage," Billy introduced, looking in the rear view. "Billy."

"I stand by what I said," Alexis laughed. "Did you write all of those songs?"

"A few, Graham helped with some," Billy responded, starting to drive.

"They're really good."

"Are you from Pittsburgh?" Camila asked.

"Yeah," Alexis nodded. "I'm trying to get out, though."

"Where do you want to go?"

"I don't know. I was thinking L.A. for the music scene, but there's no way I can afford to go there by myself," Alexis explained. "Maybe one day."

"Don't leave too soon," Camila smiled. "I could use another girl around."

"I'll try. I'm kind of couch-hopping right now and I don't know how long I can keep that up," Alexis explained, suddenly regretting sharing so much. "Sorry, I share too much when I drink."

"You have nothing to be sorry about, you're our friend now."

"Woah, shouldn't we ask her some questions or something first?" Warren asked. "This is a sacred brotherhood we have going on here."

"I'm fine with it," Eddie added. He wanted to spend more time with her, but he also wanted to make sure she could be surrounded by good people. "She's not going to kill us, Warren."

"Welcome to the crowd," Warren repeated Camila's earlier comment, patting Alexis on the shoulder.

Alexis started to open up more during the night, mingling with each person at some point. Eddie stood behind the kitchen counter and couldn't help but glance at her. Maybe it was the alcohol, but his glance turned into a stare.

Alexis had dark hair like Camila, but it was shorter. It was cut at her collarbones and loosely curled. She wore high-waisted denim jeans and a black shirt tied at the front so part of her torso peaked out. When she started walking towards him, he noticed the deep green of her eyes and the freckles on her face.

"Can I help you?" She asked, giggling quietly.

"You had something in your hair," he lied awkwardly, pretending to take something out of her hair and flick it onto the floor. "Got it."

"Thanks," Alexis smiled. "And thanks for inviting me here. You guys are cool."

"Well, I hope you come back," Eddie smiled back. "You're cool, too."

"We'll see."

"You never say yes," Eddie pointed out.

"It's hard to commit to something when you don't know where you'll be tomorrow," Alexis told him. "Nothing is certain for me right now."

"I'm certain you have a family here." Eddie gestured to everyone around him. "You're one of us now."

"Why me?" Alexis asked. "If what you have is so sacred, why invite me in when you don't know me?"

"Why agree to come when you don't know us?" Eddie returned, leaning back against the counter.

Alexis sipped her drink to hide her smile. Something about him made her blush, but she pushed the feeling away. She may finally have a group of friends that will love her and make her feel safe. That's not something she was willing to ruin for a guy. Besides, she wasn't really looking to be involved with anyone after Derek. She didn't exactly leave him so much as run away from him. He could be looking for her; it's just another reason she wanted to get out of Pittsburgh. Derek had a heavy hand and she feared what he could do if he ever saw her again. She had bruises and cigarette burns, still, that wouldn't fade away. He's the reason she was still wearing jeans and a long-sleeved shirt in the summer. He's the reason she only had a suitcase of clothes and a small amount of savings to her name. He only gave her one good thing.

He's the reason she met The Dunne Brothers.