xxiv. courthouse wedding

Around ten, the five of them were at the doors of the courthouse. Alexis was in Daisy's dress with white flowers in her hair, and Eddie was in a black silk shirt and a nice pair of pants he had with his stage clothes. Daisy held onto Eddie's family's rings as the couple sorted out what they needed to do.

There was no religious speech or ceremony of any kind, they just signed a few pieces of paper and became Mr. and Mrs. Eddie Loving within a few minutes. The courthouse kicked them out after that, so Eddie's mom decided to host a lunch where they would be able to say their vows and "I do"s.

The vows were something they thought they'd do privately after having time to write them, but it was important to his family that they had a ceremony, even if it was only the five of them crowded together in the dining room.

Daisy wanted to celebrate, though, so she talked to Eddie's mom, called Billy, and told him to bring everyone to Eddie's for lunch. She didn't tell him why, she just said the door would be open and they'd be back by eleven. Eddie didn't have a big driveway, so everyone's cars would be parked on the street and likely go unnoticed.

Eddie's mom took what felt like a million pictures, wanting to put a wedding announcement in the paper for other family and friends to see. Eddie was getting tired of it, so he grabbed Alexis's hand and brought her inside. They heard chatter, and turned into the kitchen to see everyone standing around and talking. Even Rod was there.

"Holy shit," Graham said, followed by an "oh, my god," from Camila when everybody saw them walk in.

"Surprise," Daisy sang, knowing every single person in that room didn't see this moment coming.

"You two got married?" Camila asked, laughing as she ran over to hug Alexis.

"We did," Alexis laughed, hugging Camila back. It was the warmest moment they shared since they were still living in L.A.

"Thanks for letting us know, guys," Warren laughed, hugging Eddie. "Congratulations, man. I'm so fucking happy for you."

Billy was the only one who didn't hug Eddie, he just gave him a pat on the back when congratulating him. He did hug Alexis, though.

"I told you all the hard shit would be worth it in the end," Billy told her. "Congratulations."

"Thank you," Alexis whispered, squeezing him tightly. "Thank you for everything, Billy. For taking care of me when you didn't need to, and-"

"You don't have to thank me, Alexis," he smiled. "You're a great fucking friend, I'd do it all again."

The group started to drink and went into the backyard for lunch, enjoying the afternoon before they had to leave for soundcheck. About an hour before it was time for them to go, Eddie's mom asked everyone to quiet down.

"I know you two don't have any vows written, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to hear what you want to say to each other on your big day," she smiled, ushering the couple to the front of the crowd.

"Alright," Eddie started, clearing his throat and putting down his beer. He turned to Alexis and held her hands. "My grandma used to tell me about the old fashioned kind of love, where you look someone in the eyes for the first time and know you're going to spend the rest of your life with that person. I've never fallen for someone harder or faster than I fell for you, and I continue to fall for you more and more every day. I've recorded two albums, gone on two tours, and performed on Saturday Night fucking Live, but marrying you makes all of that feel so small. Alexis Rose Matson, I promise to spend the rest of my life loving you the way you deserve to be loved, in sickness and in health or whatever people say at these things."

"My turn," Alexis laughed, wiping her tears as she prepared to follow that. "I never thought I was meant to get married or start a family, and I never thought anyone would love me the way you do. From the minute we met, you made me feel like I was a part of something. You gave me hope for the life that I always thought of as dream that would never come true. I think about all of the moments that led to us meeting for the first time, and all of the moments after that led us here today. There were so many shitty moments that felt like the end of the world, but without them we wouldn't have figured out what it feels like to love or to be loved. Daisy Jones once told me that love can be beautiful if you let it be beautiful, and now I know what she meant. I feel that kind of love with you, and it's the best feeling in the world. Eddie Thomas Loving, I can't wait to share that feeling with you for the rest of our lives."

"Did you know his middle name was Thomas?" Warren asked Graham.

"I didn't even know her last name was Matson," Graham added, their conversation muffled by everyone clapping when Eddie and Alexis kissed.

"We should get a hotel room tonight," Eddie whispered to her. "I don't think we can consummate our marriage with glow-in-the-dark stars on the ceiling and my mom in the next room."

"Can we get one with a bath?"

"We'll get one with the biggest bath they have," Eddie smiled. "We're fucking married."

"I'm officially Alexis Rose Loving," Alexis smiled back. "I like how that sounds."

"Good, because you'll be hearing it a lot later."