xxiii. a million angels

After a long night of socializing and drinking, Eddie and Alexis ended up in Eddie's childhood bedroom. He told her stories about all the things he collected as a kid and said he appreciated his mom keeping up his room even though he hasn't lived at home for a while. They were up until sunrise, just talking.

The light from the sun started to peek through his curtains as they held hands under the space-themed comforter and pressed their foreheads together. Eddie rubbed the back of Alexis's hands with his thumbs.

"Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near? Just like me, they long to be close to you," Eddie sang softly, remembering her favorite love song like their first conversation was just yesterday. She smiled.

"If I'm being honest, when you look at me it's like kissing a million angels," Alexis sang told him, tracing the tattoo on his shoulder with her finger. "And every tattoo's so intoxicating from your neck and right down to your ankles."

"I've never heard that before," Eddie told her.

"I wrote it," Alexis smiled. "About you, when I realized that I was falling for you. It scared the shit out of me."

"Yeah, me too," Eddie chuckled.

"I'm not scared to be in love anymore, Eddie. I want to give myself to you, all of me. I want you in my life until the day it ends." Alexis pushed his bangs out of his face so she could see his eyes.

Eddie's eyes were her favorite part about him. They were always honest to her, and she felt comfort in losing herself in them. "I know you're the person I want to marry and the person I want to start a family with one day."

"Then let's do it," Eddie suggested. "After the tour, let's get married."

"What?"

"Let's get married." Eddie sat up and grabbed the jacket he threw on the floor earlier. He pulled the box his grandma gave him out of the pocket before throwing it back down. He opened the box so she could see the ring inside; it was his grandmother's wedding ring. "My grandma has been saving this for me since the day I was born. I promised her I'd give it to the person I want to grow old with, and you're that person."

"Eddie-"

"Will you marry me?" Eddie asked quietly. There was a pause as Alexis took a minute to think, but what was there to think about?

"Yes," Alexis grinned, giggling as Eddie kissed her so hard they knocked teeth. The first thing she thought about was how she would tell Daisy.

"It's been you since the day we met," Eddie told her.

"I can't believe it's been five years," she laughed, thinking about how much her life has changed since they met. She couldn't sit still, a burst of excitement flowing through her body. "God, I'm so happy, I could marry you right now."

"The courthouse should be open soon," Eddie suggested spontaneously, not desiring a big wedding as much as he desired having a wife; having someone to love so deeply the way he always imagined he would. "We can be married by soundcheck."

"This is the most Daisy Jones thing I think you've ever done, and I love it," Alexis grinned. What's a piece of paper compared to how they felt in that moment? If they knew they wanted to start a life together, why wait? "Let's do it."

"Do you want her to be there? Daisy?" Eddie asked. "I know how much she means to you, and I know she'd drop everything to come if you asked her to."

"Can she?"

"Absolutely," Eddie smiled, looking at the time. "I think I hear my mom in the kitchen. I'm ready to start the day if you are."

"I can't believe this is happening." Alexis wrapped her arms around Eddie's neck as he kissed her. "I can't believe we're getting married."

"Come on," Eddie encouraged, pulling Alexis out of bed. He held her for a moment. "I love you."

"I love you."

The two got dressed and made their way downstairs. Eddie's mom was cooking a big breakfast and Eddie's grandma was joining them.

"Good morning," Eddie smiled.

"You look happy," his mom laughed. "It must be a big day if you're out of bed this early."

"It is," Eddie started. "Because Alexis and I are getting married."

"What?" His mom asked, dropping a spoon. "Today?"

"We're having a courthouse wedding, and we want you both to be there," he explained.

"That's it? You don't want a ceremony or a party?"

"We don't need one. We don't want to wait to make plans, we just want to get married and everyone we want there with us is right here, right now," Eddie explained. "This is what we both want."

"I can't believe my baby boy is getting married," she cried, walking over and hugging the couple. "Both of my boys are grown up, you don't need your mom anymore."

"Of course we do," Eddie laughed. "We always will."

"I didn't grow up with a mom who loved her kids as much as you love yours," Alexis told her. "I feel so lucky to marry your son and be a part of your family. I wish this wasn't the first time meeting you, though."

"Eddie talks about you so much, I feel like I've met you a hundred times," she was reassured.

"Do you still have dad's ring?" Eddie asked. His grandmother was still expressing her joy in the background, hugging Eddie and then Alexis once his mom let go of them.

"I'll go get it right now."

Eddie encouraged Alexis to call Daisy, so he gave her the number to call over to Billy and Graham's house where she was staying. She was at Eddie's house within fifteen minutes and brought the dress she wore for her wedding in Greece.

"What the fuck, Alexis?" Daisy asked, laughing when she saw her friend. She hugged her, and they swayed back and forth. "I'm so happy for you, and I'm so happy you want me with you."

"You're the only one I want with me," Alexis smiled. "You're the reason this is happening. You showed me that love can be beautiful."

Alexis loved Daisy with her whole heart, but she could never love Daisy as much as she deserves to be loved. She'll always be a close second to Eddie, though, and Alexis was so thankful to have her there with her.

"When are you going to tell everyone else?"

"Tonight, I think. Eddie and I haven't talked about that, but I knew I wanted to tell you first. I can't believe you still have your dress."

"I kept it just in case I decided to run away again and marry someone else," Daisy joked. "Let's go dress you up to sign some papers."