vi. the strip

Sam never called back. Alexis tried calling again a few weeks later, and the call wouldn't even go through. He separated himself from the family. Alexis wondered if it hurt him as much as it hurt her.

She stopped waiting by the phone and started going to shows again. Her and Camila would make their way backstage and get to watch from the wings. Camila was used to it all by now, but Alexis was still happy to feel like she was a part of something. For the first time in her life, she felt special.

Once Karen joined the band, her and Eddie fought to get the name changed from The Dunne Brothers. After all, the Dunnes were officially outnumbered at this point. At a late dinner one night after a show, they landed on The Six. The Five or The Seven didn't sound as fun, and Eddie was excited that it sounded like "The Sex."

Alexis got a job at a 24-hour diner where she worked after shows. That's where the band went to eat, mostly to see her but also because it was the only place they could afford. Eddie would steal toast in his shirt pockets and bring it home until Alexis started bringing him her employee meals. She snuck what she could in her to-go box for the rest of the band, like jelly or butter for their bread or the occasional bagel.

Alexis would sleep in the mornings after work while the band rehearsed. She could watch their shows, but couldn't stay after. She made enough money to start buying her own clothes after pitching in her rent. She was able to afford a haircut and finally get better shampoo that didn't flatten her natural waves.

She did meet some coworkers, Diana and Tom, who also enjoyed the music scene. Specifically, they liked dancing. Every few days they would work together and end the night at a club. Alexis started taking speed to stay awake, but that wasn't uncommon on The Strip. One night, she invited the band.

It was an outdoor scene, half bar and half dance floor. The weather was beautiful at night in the city, and Alexis was having the time of her life with Karen and Camila while all the guys sat at the counter. Warren was the first to join them.

"All your girls are drunk on the dance floor and you're sitting here like losers," Warren told them. "Get your asses out there."

"I know my girl is coming home with me either way," Billy defended, holding his hands up.

"Imagine the sex though, bro," Warren encouraged. "Be a man and dance with your lady!"

"No way, I don't know how to dance like that," Eddie argued, crossing his arms. Warren crossed his.

"If you don't dance with them, I will," he said, raising his eyebrows. Eddie and Graham looked at each other and hopped out of their seats. Billy, not wanting to look like the asshole, followed suit. All four of them approached the girls, Warren finding a blonde nearby while everyone else paired up.

"I didn't think this was your scene!" Alexis yelled, Eddie putting his hands on her waist.

"It's not!" Eddie yelled back. "But it's yours! I might need another drink though!"

"Buy me one and I might let you put your hands on my ass!"

Eddie could've passed out. Alexis was wearing a very short dress and they were already pressed together in the crowd. The liquor made it to his head and all he wanted was to have her to himself.

He held her hand and practically dragged her to the bar, ordering two shots, a double old fashioned for himself and a double manhattan for Alexis. He was ready to completely let himself go.

"You know my drink order," Alexis smiled, not having to yell anymore. "And you doubled it, how kind of you."

"I need you to tell me if I look like an idiot out there," he said, paying the bartender and grabbing his shot.

"No way," Alexis smiled. They took their shots, and then Eddie started downing his drink. "Are you crazy?"

"For you, maybe," he told her, putting his empty glass back on the bar. "Is that okay?"

Don't ruin this, she thought. She started downing her drink, finding the courage to ignore her thoughts and tell him, "Yes."

"Fuck it," he said, grabbing her hand and pulling her around the bar and into the first open bathroom he saw. He shut and locked the door before pushing her up against it and kissing her. Alexis put her hands on his shoulders, the silk of his shirt feeling soft to the touch. She wanted to rip it off.

"Wait," she said, her breathing quick. "What if-"

"Do you want me?" He interrupted. She took a beat but nodded. "Then screw the what ifs."

They were kissing again. The alcohol settling in as they kissed harder and faster. He lifted her up onto the counter while she started unbuttoning his shirt, unbuckling his belt, and unzipping his jeans. He unzipped her dress, pulled the sleeves down and pushed her skirt up. His hands slid up her thighs and then back down as he pulled her thong off. When they hit the floor, his one hand went back up while he tangled her hair in the other. When he felt her head start to tilt back, he pulled at her hair so her neck was free for him to kiss. She gripped onto the edge of the counter and gasped, the music preventing anyone outside from hearing them. He was doing everything he physically could to touch her, and the fact she couldn't touch him drove her crazy.

"Fuck you," she said breathlessly, hating how good he made her feel.

He moved his hands to pull her hips closer to his. They were kissing again, Alexis's hands now in Eddie's hair as she pushed her hips into him and wrapped her legs around his waist. She could feel him, and she became desperate. She wanted him in that moment more than she's wanted anything in her entire life. Eddie liked that.

"What do you want?" He asked between kisses, moving from her lips down her neck.

"Your dick, you fucking asshole," she said, making him chuckle as he bit the skin of her shoulder. His chuckle was quiet but deep. Alexis couldn't take waiting anymore and pulled down his boxers. Safe sex wasn't exactly a concern in the 70s for straight couples, so there wasn't a beat before he was inside of her. Her hands were under his shirt, her nails scratching his back as their bodies danced together. This wasn't the dancing they thought they'd be doing that night; this was better. They explored every inch of each others' bodies as if they'd never get the chance to again; like everything would go back to normal outside of the bar bathroom.

Everything got quiet other than the sound of their breathing. They looked at each other and took in everything that just happened. Alexis never realized how bright his eyes were. When he broke eye contact to redress himself, she realized this wasn't the fun, casual sex she thought it was going to be. She hopped off of the counter and collected herself.

"Eddie," she whispered, her breath catching in her throat when he looked at her again. She didn't have to say anything else, her eyes told him everything. He kissed her softly and then rested his forehead against hers.

"Me too," he said, tucking her hair behind her ear. Nothing was going to be the same anymore, and they were okay with that.

They were more than okay with that.