thirteen

BILL'S POV
November 6th, 2007

Blair had changed over the past week. I'd told her I needed time to decide if I wanted to be her friend, but I think I'd made up my mind, she was actually really sweet when she didn't hate you.

She was sat next to me at the table, actually focusing on what I was teaching her rather than making snide remarks every time I spoke. I liked this Blair, the nice Blair, who actually seemed to care about her education and not insulting me.

I left her to do her worksheet for the week, walking over to the couch so I could sit down but, to my surprise, she followed me.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Sitting on the couch," Blair said, "If that's okay, that is. It's just, the first time we did this you said I could sit on the couch, and I refused, but the truth is your dining chairs aren't very comfy and-"

"Hey," I cut her off, "It's fine, you can sit on the couch."

She smiled and got to work as I pulled out my phone, scrolling on MySpace. I smiled when I saw a notification. b_schroeder started following you. I stopped myself, remembering what I'd said, that I needed time. I followed her back, though, and heard her phone vibrate from the back pocket of her jeans. She went to check it and I spoke.

"Focus," I said.

"I was just gonna check-"

"It was me, following you on MySpace."

Blair smiled and got back to work. She didn't need my help with anything on the sheet this time. I guess I should've been happy about her making progress, but I was honestly kind of disappointed that she didn't need my help.

I remembered the other times she'd asked me to help. Leaning over her shoulder, roaring over her, that sweet vanilla scent filling my nostrils as she looked up at me for guidance.

Fuck.

"I'll be right back," I said, heading upstairs into the bathroom, trying to think of something complete un-sexy, knowing I couldn't relieve myself to the thought of her when she was sat just metres away from me. Why was I like this?

Blair wasn't my usual type at all. My past relationships had been with girls who were more like me. Dark makeup, black clothes, studded belts, chunky jewellery, sexy, musky perfumes.

Blair was the complete opposite of that. She was so hyper feminine. Soft makeup, white glittery eyelids and pink glossy lips. Frilly skirts, knee high socks, everything soft, powdery colours, and that stupid smell of vanilla and strawberry cupcakes that had somehow became like some sort of drug to me. Why her?

Maybe it was a good thing that we were total opposites, it's not like anything could come of this. I sensed that I wasn't her type, either.

Toby has short, light brown hair, green eyes. He was shorter than me, but most people were. He was still tall, and a lot bigger than me in terms of muscles, which made me laugh, considering that he couldn't win a fight despite his size. He was your typical jock in terms of his style. Nothing like me at all.

I thanked God for that, knowing it would be a stupid idea for Blair and I to be together considering the last. Sure, it was over now, but it had been so easy for us to just hate each other, it became a norm. What if that were to happen again.

My erection successfully disappeared when I thought of all the things that could go wrong with Blair and eventually I left the bathroom. She was still in the couch, writing, finishing off the final question.

As I sat down, she finished. "Done," she said, handing the paper to me. I looked down at it, and she'd gotten them all right. I smiled.

"Full house," I said. Blair looked really happy. "You see how easy it is to learn when you're focused on that rather than focused on insulting your tutor?"

She laughed, taking the paper. "I really am sorry, Bill. I-"

"I know, I know. It's okay."

"Is it?"

"It is. I promise."