🏵️ Chapter Twenty-Six : Strides of Change

STRIDES OF CHANGE

STRIDES OF CHANGE

In his father's office, Taehyun's frustration simmered beneath the surface as he waited for his father to finish a call.

The room, adorned with diplomas and medical accolades, spoke volumes about its owner, Mr. Kym, who ran his own clinic.

Finally, his father hung up the phone and turned his attention to Taehyun, his expression unreadable. "Taehyun, we need to talk about what happened last night," he began, his tone serious.

Taehyun braced himself, the tension in the room was palpable. "I know," he replied, his voice clipped with irritation. "I'm sorry things turned out the way they did."

His father sighed heavily, his disappointment evident in the furrow of his brow.

"I'm not just talking about your decision to break off the engagement," he said, his tone tinged with reproach. "I'm talking about the way you handled it. Bringing Jennie into our family matters was reckless and disrespectful."

Taehyun's temper flared at the criticism, his frustration boiling over.

"I did what I had to do, Dad," he retorted, his voice tinged with anger. "I couldn't keep living and pretending to be someone I'm not."

His father's expression hardened, his disapproval evident in the set of his jaw. "There are better ways to handle things, Taehyun," he admonished, his tone firm. "You should have discussed your concerns with us first, rather than blindsiding everyone at the dinner table."

Taehyun's hands curled into fists, his frustration mounting with each passing moment.

"I thought you'd understand," he snapped, his voice laced with bitterness. "But all you care about is preserving your precious reputation."

His father's gaze turned icy, his patience wearing thin. "Watch your tone, Taehyun," he warned, his voice steely. "I won't tolerate disrespect in my office."

Taehyun seethed with resentment, his anger pulsing through his veins. "Maybe I don't want to be part of this family anymore," he shot back, his words a defiant challenge.

His father's expression softened slightly, a hint of sadness flickering in his eyes. "Is that what you really want?" he asked, his voice tinged with regret. "To walk away from everything?"

Taehyun faltered. The face of his father's genuine concern.

With a heavy heart, Taehyun left his father's office, their conversation pressing down on him like a burden.

Not long after, the phone on his desk rang, interrupting the quiet hum of the room.

With a sigh, Mr. Kym reached for the receiver and answered.

"Hello, Dr. Sungmin speaking," he greeted, his voice professional yet warm.

On the other end of the line, Mr. Jung's voice crackled through the receiver. "It's me. Can we meet in your office later this afternoon?"