20.

Eloise did in fact find Daphne, who was in conversation with their brother Benedict near the track. The first race was about to start and guest were filling up seats.

"Daphne, what happened to Colin and Penelope?" Eloise asked bluntly and almost demanding.

"What happened are they okay?" Daphne looked worried and Benedict was confused. "Penelope and I were shopping the other day for his event, she had slipped you were there when they argued. Neither one of them will tell me what happened."

"Eloise, I don't think that's any of your business," Daphne kept her composure as she looked out to the track.

"Please I need to know, I don't understand why my best friend nor my own brother won't tell me," Eloise was now in between Benedict and Daphne, upon the railing that was a barrier between the audience and the track.

"Now little sister, it is not your concern," Benedict smiled. Daphne glared at him, worried he might say something.

"Why don't we make a bet?" Benedict cheered, "Daphne if Collin wins, you may keep your secret from the both of us."

"But if he loses you have to tell the both of us exactly what happened," Eloise smiled at her brother for being a koy genius.

"No, I will not put a bet on this," Daphne was trying hard to keep her frustration in.

"Why do you want to know Benedict?" Eloise asked. "Curious," was all he said.

-

Mr. Debling walked Penelope back to where the Featheringtons were seated. "Penelope, there you are?" Her mother was smiling widely as she saw the two walk in.

"Mrs. Featherington, thank you again for your generous donation," he greeted. "You're welcome Mr. Debling, thank you for the invitation," Portia glimmered.

"I will see you later hopefully, Miss Featherington" Mr. Debling kissed her hand before leaving to get ready for his own race.

"Penelope, I am so happy for you both!" Portia was smiling from ear to ear. "I read the tabloids so it must be true."

"Mama, we are but good friends."

"And you can be more," Portia sung, "Now why haven't you called me back. I've been meaning to talk to you about Mr. Debling."

"He hasn't given me a business proposal Mama," Penelope took a seat next to her mother facing the arena. "Heavens no! I did not introduce you to Mr. Debling in pursuit of a contract but for marriage."

"What?" Penelope was shocked at the news her mother gave her. "I approve of Mr. Debling, and I may have told him you were my only daughter who was available. I wanted you two to meet in hopes of forming a union. And I see he is indeed interested. Do not hold back my dear," Portia was becoming overbearing for Penelope.

"Mama, I may be seeing someone already," Penelope felt like she was lying but she did not want her mother to go on.

"What, who? How come you have not told me? Is it someone from the States?" Portia panicked.

"No mama." Penelope was nervous, how can she say anything without giving away too much.

Her sisters thankfully were not around, Philippa and her husband were with the Bridgertons and Prudence was off with her husband to get a closer view of the track.

"Penelope," Marina had come back from getting refreshments.

"Marina..." Penelope looked up to see a familiar face. She paled rather quickly, and wanted to run away. "I must go, we will talk about this later mama."

-

Marina Thompson