28.

The next night indeed, Colin was nervous, he remembered the day of the wedding Penelope and him first met when she came back from the States, her mother was not fond of him at all.

Now here he was with Penelope waiting for Mrs. Featherington to meet them in the intimate drawing room, Penelope had told him her mother only uses this room for important discussions.

He was eating his 4th biscuit and Penelope was tapping her fingers on the table of treats.

Colin reached for her hand, "Pen we're gonna be okay."

Mrs. Feathrington enters the room with Ms. Varley; a deep frown on her face. "Mrs. Featherington, Ms. Varly," Colin stood up to greet first.

"Mr. Bridgerton."

She sat across from them at the same small table that held treats and tea, she took a good look at the couple in front of her.

She sighed,"Mr. Bridgerton do you plan to marry Penelope?"

"Mama!" Penelope anxious.

"Do you plan to settle down and start a family? Or do you continue to galvant as you please Mr. Bridgerton," Mrs. Feathrington was not holding back. She had hope to weed him out if he was serious or not.

"My daughter is the last of my three to be married. I don't need her to waste anytime. Clearly you did not keep your distance when I told you too. So-" Mrs. Featherington took a sip of her tea before continuing.

"Amuse me."

Penelope looked at Colin, squeezing his hand.

"I've waited for Penelope for a year to come back from the States, I assure you I plan to be with Penelope for a lifetime if she will take me.

"My apologies Mrs. Feathrington I don't know what have given you the impression I am not worthy for her but I do see her as my wife one day.

Colin then looked at Penelope, to confirm he was sure of her. He did not want to let her go again. He would protect her, wait on her.

"Mama, I am happy with Colin. We've been friends  for so long, and I trust in him. We encourage each other and look out for one another. You must see, how much he means to me," Penelope felt Colin stare at her as she said this.

It was a long moment before anyone said anything.

"Penelope dear, I see now," Her mother sighed. "I only wanted you to be happy, safe, well off. And I see it, if Bridgerton so keeps his word," she smiled but very little. She got up from the seat and walked off when she had seen enough.

-

After tea, Colin and Penelope headed back to her flat,"I can't tell if your mother approved of us or not?"

"She did," she said as she removed her shoes and plopped on the satee. Colin followed doing the same.

Colin moved closer to Penelope so that there shoulders were touching. "Pen?"

"Hmm?"

Colin turned his body so that he was facing her, she was shy to make eye contact, "Can you look at me?"

Penelope did, they were lost again in each other. Then he remembered he was at her flat, "Actually I should go, Eloise may visit you soon right?"

He got up from his seat quickly.

"Colin why do you not stay long? It seems you're afraid to be alone with me whenever where at my place?" She asked confidently. She stood up following him back to the door they just came through. She was growing tired of this routine and she had to know why.

"Isn't obvious?" He turned torward her, who was confused.

"Pen we're alone. In your flat."

"Yes and?"

"Pen I am- a man alone with a woman," he explained. He looked at her deeply,"I trust you won't do anything Colin," she said.

"But I don't. Penelope it's hard to keep my composure when I'm around you like this," Colin was getting closer now. "I don't want to take advantage of you, I respect you. I love you," Colin confessed.

Penelope was a deep cherry red, she was smiling from the corners of her mouth. "Colin, you finally said it."

He pulled her in,"I love you Penelope Featherington." He leaned in to give her a kiss, cupping her face, as she wrapped her arms around his waist.

*knock* *knock*

Colin pulled away and leaned his head on her shoulder, groaning in disappointment,"Eloise whyyyyyyy." Penelope giggled,"Maybe she will leave if we pretend we're not home."

"Pen, open up!"

"No, I don't think so Colin, I have to live here, I don't want the neighbors to fret,"Penelope smiled.

He moved away and torwards the door,"Wait Colin," she grabbed his hand and he looked over. "I love you Colin Bridgerton, most ardently." She smiled.

He gave her another kiss, before another knock was at the door.