21.

Mermories were resurfacing, Penelope was almost in tears:

He was getting closer to her, he was much taller so his strides were wider. He tried to catch up and was able to grab her shoulder. "Pen I said wait-"

"Charming as ever Colin. Yet it seems you can not pick up the slack. I also don't like the fact that you can't make up your mind or you just won't admit to whatever you truly feel at all." Colin can see Penelope in tears, she was hurting.

Penelope took a moment to herself, she thought being away in America would take away all the pain but she was still broken. She was hurting deep down and she was literally running away from it.

"Penelope?" She looked up to see Daphne, utter relief took over. "Hey, what's wrong?" Eloise and Benedict had been annoying her, she was able to get away before giving into the bet. She found Penelope walking quickly away as if something was chasing her. They were currently inside the refreshment area.

-

"Do you know something brother?" Eloise arched her brow. "Maybe I do?"He smiled widely, "But only from what Colin told me. Hardly much. However, I don't think you wont be please to know I can't tell you."

"Unfair."

"You do have a big mouth Eloise."

"I do not."

"Yes you do."

Ready

Set

Go

*DINGGGGGGGG*

The first race had begun. Crowds cheering, horses rapidly zooming down the track. Number 56 was in the lead of the bunch and was making a hard turn around the curve of the track.

-

"Are you are sure you're well?" Daphne asked once more, she did not want to upset Penelope and was unsure what would be the right thing to do.

Daphne did not know Penelope's side of the story.
She realized there was more Colin did not tell her. Penelope contemplated if she should say anything.

"Between us, Eloise doesn't know, I doubt you have been clear as day with Colin for he still seems in distress. Do you have anyone to talk to?  I'm afraid and I'm sorry to assume you have told no one what you're going through," Daphne was right, Penelope had been hiding too long and it felt unfair for herself.

"Come, Benedict and Eloise are watching the race, we can talk about it later if you feel like it."
She had joined Daphne, Eloise, and Benedict near the track to watch the third group who had just finished the race.

"How did it go with Debling?"Eloise asked with a cheeky smile.

"Well, he actually confessed his feelings for me,"
Penelope mentioned trying to regain her composure.

"That's good, are you guys together now?"

"No, we're not."

"I thought you fancied him,"Eloise confused. "We're good friends Elle and there's someone else I've been meaning to tell you about," Penelope was trying to get the courage to say it. Her best friend waited patiently,"I tried telling you the other day but I don't think you understood me."

"GOOD AFTERNOON LADIES AND GENTS!"

The man from this morning was announcing the last race of the event.

"We have a special announcement! Not only is this the last race of today's event but our star rivals Bridgerton and Debling will be competing in this group today!