FOUR

Dear Diary,

I met Danial; Uncle Ariz and Aunt Farah's son. Oh my god!! My knees go weak when I saw him. He is so handsome. His face is so beautiful and pure. He has this glow on his face. Although he avoided looking at me, I saw his eyes. His eyes were a mesmerising deep brown. And I found out the voice calling for prayer was his. What luck! I saw a few ladies glanced his way but him being a religious person, not one lady he paid attention to. He was polite when he talked to Mama yet not once he spoke to me. I wished I had worn something more appropriate. He might acknowledge me then. Oh well! There goes my luck.

Love,
S.H.

------
Danial

It was Monday morning; everyone except Farah had work or school to attend. The day before, after he saw Aida, he had not gone home till midnight. He had not mentioned anything about the meet-up yet. He wondered if anyone from Aida's side had mentioned it to his father or mother. But he doubt so as both his parents had not indicated anything.

"I met Aunt Aida yesterday afternoon at the mosque," Danial announced to no one in particular. Everyone was present at the dining table, so he thought he would just say it out loud.

Dahlia's hand stopped in mid-air, holding a waffle in it. She glanced at Danial and a smile crept up her face. Danial knew she was going to ask but she bit her lips and continued with her breakfast.

Dina was ignoring everyone scrolled through her phone in frustration and replying to someone who kept texting her. While Ariz put down his newspaper a fraction and watched Danial behind his reading glasses which sat on the bridge of his nose.

Farah who was busy serving tea, froze and pulled out her chair, scraping the tiles in the process. She sat and smiled pleasantly at Danial as she asked, "Masha'Allah! Really? Who was she with?"

"Uncle Aidil," Danial paused in hesitation. Is there a need for him to inform on the third person?

"Oh I see." The pleasure in her voice was gone and placed by disappointment.

"And Sofea."

Instantly Farah's eyes lit up while Dahlia started shooting questions at him, putting down her fork and knife. "Did you look at her? Is she pretty? Did you talk to her? What did you guys talk about?"

"Astaghfirullah. I don't think any of your questions were directed to me. Have you forgotten? I do not look or talk to women, especially non-mahram."

Dina rolled her eyes at her brother's exaggerating behaviour. "Ya Allah! Seriously Abang? Then how are you going to find yourself a wife? You can't be serious in marrying someone whom you have not seen at all?"

Dahlia gasped at Dina's boldness. She took a peek under her lashes at her brother, afraid of what will come out from Danial's mouth. Ariz shook his head, knowing full well what came next while Farah pretended she never hear anything.

Danial pressed his lips together before he said anything. Looking straight in Dina's eyes, he spoke with such authority, "Islam commands us to lower our gaze and forbids us to look at the non-mahram. Can you tell me what's the hukum (law) of it Dina Binte Ariz?"

"Haram," Dina responded as she turned her attention to her plate. Her face paled and she regretted letting go of her frustration to her brother. Wrong move, she thought.

"Can you tell me why?"

"In order to purify one's souls and protect his honour. It is also to avoid sexual desires between them which could lead to sins."

Danial nodded his head, pleased that he does not have to explain to Dina. He knew behind the masked face, Dina has a secret which she was afraid of him finding out.