ELEVEN

Sofea

The moment she stepped into the house, her heart was having a whale of a time. She saw Danial and Dina standing by the sofa and she couldn't help grinning from ear to ear. She shook hands with the girls and took a seat in between Dahlia and Dina.

From afar Sofea saw Farah approaching her from the kitchen. Immediately Sofea stood up to receive a hug and a kiss on the cheeks from Farah. "How are you my child?"

"I'm good. Thank you. How are you Auntie?"

"Alhamdulillah. Never been better."

She went back to sit when Farah went over to Aida and Hajah Saleha to greet them.

"Sofea, I love you kimono! Where did you get it?" Dahlia commented as she reached out to touch the soft cotton kimono.

"Oh! I saw it at a store near the wet market. It's cheap too! If you like, I'll get you one when I follow Mama to the market again."

"Get me one too! But I would like a pink color if there is," Dina grinned as she joined in the conversation.

"Sure. I think they have a variety of colors."

"Girls will always be girls," Danial remarked as he sat on the single couch. Sofea blushed as she gazed over to Danial.

Why so handsome?

"Busybody! Why don't you join the men? Your ears might bleed if you listen to our conversation," Dahlia countered back as she stuck out her tongue at Danial.

"Because I like sitting here."

"Because there's a beautiful lady here," Dina gushed as she winked at Sofea.

Sofea could feel her cheeks heat up fast.

This is so embarrassing.

She looked around to see her mother, grandmother and uncle sitting at the dining table with Danial's parents. They seemed happy, laughing among themselves. A few times, they glanced over at the youngsters.

Farah stood up and went in the kitchen, calling Dina and Dahlia to help her out. Sofea stood up as well to help them into the kitchen, but was stopped by Dahlia.

"You sit here and wait. You're our guest."

Sofea nodded in obedient and sat back on the sofa. Awkwardly, she looked everywhere except for Danial's face. She could feel Danial watching her but she fight the urge to look. She don't want to be caught looking at him with his parents around.

"So I believe Dahlia have spoken to you about the interview?" Danial asked as he gazed his eyes away from Sofea.

"Is that my nickname from you?" Sofea asked, instantly regretted for even asking a weird question.

"Uh?"

"So."

Danial frowned at her and then his eyes lit up, laughing out loud. "So. Hmmm... Nah! Sofea sounds nicer."

Sofea go red in the face. Ignoring it, she replied to his first question. "Yes, Dahlia had told me about the interview. But I'm a tad unsure on the whereabouts though. I've asked Uncle Aidil to help send me over but he said he can't promise as he has a meeting at school."

Danial leaned forward, placing his elbows on his knees and propped his chin on his left hand, rubbing his hand across his light stubble. "I'll try asking my dad if he can help out later."