TWENTY TWO

Dear diary,

Visiting relatives were such a tiring chore. Atok and Nenek forced us to visit relatives after our honeymoon period, saying it's a tradition for the Malay culture to visit relatives as a form of respect. I find it awkward especially the fact that I don't even know half of them.

But two person bothers me so much.

Lana and her father.

Her father said something which kept bothering my mind. So I decided to ask Mama.

-----

Sofea

"Mama, I have a question," Sofea asked as she stood in the doorway of the living room with a towel over her head.

Aida looked up from her book and raised her eyebrow at Sofea. Sofea saw her skin wrinkled at the end of her eyes. Her skin looked tanner than usual, maybe because of the sunny weather. "Yes darling?"

Sofea took a seat next to her mother and cleared her throat. "Well... It came across my mind. You said that Daddy was not a Muslim when I was born. So doesn't it means I'm not a Muslim too?"

Stunned at her question, the book that Aida was holding slipped from her hand. She quickly picked it up and placed it on her lap. She grabbed Sofea's hands and squeezed them.

"Yes Daddy was not a Muslim then. But you are. I made sure you were born a Muslim. Daddy wasn't sure on how to do it. So we found a Muslim male nurse to adhan and iqamah in your ears while your father watched."

Sofea sighed in relief.

"Why the sudden question?"

"Uncle Adam asked that question. I couldn't answer. Luckily Danial changed the subject," Sofea explained as she twisted the end of the towel. "I was so annoyed by him and his daughter that I feel like punching something."

Sofea huffed loudly, wearing a frown on her flawless face.

"Don't worry about them. I heard Lana will be going away to London for study. She wants to pursue fashion there. I wonder if she could make it with her immature attitude," Aida gave Sofea a reassuring smile, but it doesn't make Sofea feel any better.

Unlike her, academically Lana was very clever. She always sat at the top 5 in her school. Unfortunately her intelligence doesn't match up to her character.

"I'm just not comfortable when she tries to flirt at Danial in front of me. What's worse, her father never bother to say anything about it. Only Lydia was able to make her stop."

"And what did Danial do about it?"

Sofea pursed her lips as she looked down to her lap. "He did nothing about it too. He just play along with her. However he did push her hands away when she tried to put her hands on Danial's."

The corner of Aida's lips curved up as she suppressed a laugh. "Jealous wife aren't you?"

Sofea blinked in surprise at her mother. When realisation hits her, her face turns red. "I am not."

Aida laughed out loud as she pulled Sofea into a hug. "It's ok to feel jealous. It only means you care about Danial."

Sofea sighed as she released her mother's grip. "But the feeling was so strong. I don't know if I could keep mum if it happens again. I mean I do not want be rude to her. People talks you know."

"I understand you want to take care of her heart and do not want to create trouble. But sometimes you just have to be firm. Especially when your heart gets hurt in return."