NINETEEN

Dear Diary,

It's today!! I'm getting married!! I hope everything goes well.. Wish me luck!!

Love,
S.H.
---
Danial

The moment he shook the kadi's (They are officials of religious standings, and are appointed by the President of Singapore to solemnize Muslim marriages) hand and recited the words in accepting Sofea as his wife, all his edginess vanished.

"Amin!"

"Alhamdulillah!"

He turned his head to Sofea who was being hugged by a sobbing Aida. Sofea had on a simple white wedding gown with long flowy chiffon skirt and her head was fully covered in a shimmery white scarf and a veil. Her make-up was a simple one too. She looked beautiful just like this. He wondered how her evening gown will look on her.

He stood up to walked towards Sofea with Raihan tagging along with the tray in his hand.

Raihan was flabbergasted to see Sofea's and Danial's name on the invitation card. Obviously Danial had given the card a week before the wedding during Eid. Fortunately luck was on Danial's side as Raihan realised Sofea was not meant for him. Considering that Danial had been his friend for so many years and Danial had always helped him when in need, he agreed willingly to be his best man.

They stopped in front of Sofea and Danial froze when he saw Sofea's glowing face. He stood unmoving in his place, feeling very nervous for his next action. He was supposed to slot in the ring and kiss Sofea's forehead. He could feel beads of perspire started to form on his forehead. Never in his life had he thought he would get married. And never in his life had he thought that the feeling is so anxiously exciting. He had never stood so near with a woman like this, or even touched a woman before Sofea came in his life.

Right now, his life was going to change.

People around him were telling him to put on the ring, but all he could do was stare at her. Danial could feel all eyes were on him, waiting for him.

Raihan nudged him in the back, whispering, "Do it! If not, I'll do it for you. You know I wouldn't mind."

Scowling at his friend, Danial took a deep breath. He held up his hand towards Raihan who placed a shiny silver ring on his palm. Danial gingerly held Sofea's surprisingly soft hand, and slide the wedding band on her fourth finger. Sofea kissed Danial's hand and gazed up to him, beaming from ear to ear. Danial bend a little forward and placed his lips on her forehead. Immediately his heart felt warm all over and his cheeks flushed.

When he pulled back, he realised they were swarmed by his family and relatives who wanted to take a picture of them. He was made to sit next to Sofea while pictures were being taken. While waiting for the next family to take picture, Danial leaned forward to his left and whispered, "Assalamualaikum my wife."

---

Aida

As she scanned the dining hall, she saw that not only does her father invited almost all the people that he knew, he also invited one of the person who she hopes to never meet again. It seemed that her father had still kept in contact with his friend. And his friend brings his son as well.

Their eyes met across the hall and Aida immediately looked away. He does look quite handsome now. He seemed to be alone but she can't be sure. It has been a very long time since they have met. Plus she was sure he wouldn't be present if Haji Samad invited them. She did break his heart when she ran away with Wallace.

Unfortunately, she was wrong. There he was, sitting next to his dad all dressed up in a black Malay costume. Aida's eyes gazed past him again. His beards filled his cheeks and chin and ran towards his throat. She saw how his deep-set eyes intently watching her. She was not sure if he was glaring angrily or just purposely watching her because she was afraid that he might come over to greet her. She might not know how to converse with him.