THIRTEEN

Dear Diary,

We'll be getting married in a month's time. Can you believe it??? I'm going to get marry to practically a stranger! As mentioned by Danial, we'll leave it to god's hand.

But the hard part was his list of criteria of a wife. He mentioned he wants someone to wear hijab. He knows it takes time, but he advises me to cover up as my body is only for my husband's eyes, not anyone else.

Then he mentioned about praying, which he promised he will teach me once we're married. He expects us to be praying together when we're at home.

Oh my gosh! I don't know why in the world I would accept this marriage. Mama was happy about it. Keep saying Danial is a good man. He'll be a good khalifah in the family. Whatever that means.

I saw Atok's face when Uncle Aidil announced to him. He was definitely not happy and I wonder why.

Love,

S.H.

------

Sofea

She was greeted warmly by a Chinese receptionist when she entered the office. The receptionist by the name, Shirley Lau, assisted her by calling Raihan on the phone.

"Mr Raihan, Miss Sofea is here for her first day orientation."

Sofea stood upright as her hands smooth down her purple skirt. Her heavily sequined shirt shone under the bright lights, making the grey walls glittered.

"Miss Sofea. Please take a seat. Mr Raihan will be here in a moment."

She spent the time to look around the waiting area. It was big and spacious. In the middle of the room was a hand-made blue ship the size of her arm's length. Near the front glass door, there were a few brown couches and she decided to sit on it.

As soon as her backside hit the couch, she sighed in delight at the comfy and softness of the couch.

If Raihan delays, I would probably fall asleep here.

She saw her reflection in the reception desk next to it which was fully made out of steel. She smiled at herself, telling herself not to be nervous on her first day.

"Sofea."

Sofea turned and saw a tall fair-skinned man in a grey blouse and black pants. He stood with his hands in his pockets and a warm welcoming smile on his face. Immediately Sofea stood up and approached the man.

"Mr Raihan."

"Don't be too formal with me. Raihan will do," Raihan said as he clapped his hands together. "So welcome to the Maersk family. Come, I'll show you around and introduce you to everyone."

Sofea spent her morning getting to know everyone in the company, except those in the director's board. Her new colleagues treated her nicely and some even already started asking her to join them for lunch later on.

She was glad that her first day was not as bad as she thinks. Her job was mainly to help out in the marketing department. She entered data into the system and ad-hoc job such as filings. It was an easy job for a newbie. As stated by Raihan, if everything works well for her, they will send her for courses so she will be able to do better in her job.

When Sofea reached home, she was worn out.

During dinner, she could barely open her eyes. She almost fell asleep as she nourished herself.

"Ramadan will be here soon. Sofea, have you fast during Ramadan?" Aidil enquired as he sipped on his drink.

"No Uncle. I've seen my friend performed fasting but I never did it before."