TWELVE

Dear Diary,

I'm having mixed feelings about the whole thing. I can't believe Uncle Aidil thinks he has the right to decide for me. So what if he feels responsible for my upbringing? That doesn't mean that I don't have a say. It's my life after all.

Danial didn't give an answer and it kind of hurt my feelings. I know I'm nowhere near his dream girl. But all those glances at me, it says something. That's not normal for him. Like Uncle Aidil said, Danial's not the type to wander his eyes at girls, so why the indecision?

Actually I have no intention of getting married. For god's sake, I'm just 21 years old! I've just reached adulthood and you want me to jump into a marriage.

But Danial...

He's just breathtakingly handsome and my heart beats so fast every time I see him.

I don't mind marrying early if it's him.

Love,
S.H.
------

Danial

As he paced through his room, his mind flashback to dinner two nights earlier.

"Do you want to marry Sofea?"

Danial's eyes went wide with shock. Such a simple question yet it brought a very difficult decision.

What's more irony was, all those prospect wives that his mum had pushed towards him, he would give an answer straightaway. A big straight NO.

However this time, it's different. His emotion played around with him. He couldn't open his mouth to say the word NO. But he couldn't say YES either. He was hesitating to answer which brought Aidil to test him further.

"You are hesitating. Which I think is a good sign, right Farah?"

"Absolutely. He would always say No on the spot. But this is something else," Farah replied with excitement. She then turned to Ariz and commented, "Abang, you have anything to say about this situation?"

Ariz shook his head as he eyed Danial who have been keeping silent, looking torn in between. "No. But let's give Danial some time to think about it."

Danial excused himself and walked away towards his room, his mind replaying the event that had just unfolded. He was too busy in his thoughts that he bumped into someone. When he looked up, he saw Sofea teary eyed, her face flushed.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't realise you're there."

Sofea shook her head, quickly wiping the tears that rolled down her eyes.

"Did I hurt you? I'm so sorry," Danial said, his hands was about to touch Sofea's shoulders, but he realised in time and snatched his hands back.

Sofea looked up into his worried eyes and smiled pleasantly. "I'm fine. Just dust got in my eyes."

Danial rubbed the back of his neck and cleared his throat. "Those tears shouldn't reach your eyes. It doesn't match with your beauty."

Astonished, Sofea could only stare at him which made him feel awkward. She thanked him quietly and excused herself to go to the bathroom.

Danial sat at the edge of his bed and sighed loudly. "What should I do?"

A quick knock on his door and a head with a towel wrapped her hair, peeked in. "Any problems Abang?" Dina asked, concern written clearly on her face.

Danial was about to shake his head but held that thought. Maybe he needs someone to talk to after all. After the appearance of Sofea, he was always having trouble finding a peace of mind. His heart raced and his mind was always filled with a picture of the beautiful lady. He thought he would lose his mind any minute.