SEVENTEEN

Dear Diary,

Tomorrow's my first time celebrating Syawal. Mama got me a very nice baju kurung. It's black with red laces at the end of the blouse and the sleeves. She said 1 pair is enough for me since we might not be going anywhere. But I felt that I needed at least 1 more pair in case.

Love,

S.H.

----

Danial

Danial who had just gotten back from the mosque, went straight to the toilet, clutching his stomach.

A few minutes later, he step out of the washroom and sighed. He felt heat all over his body. His stomach was churning and making noises. He can't be having a stomach upset today. He was supposed to be their driver today.

"Danial, are you ok?" Farah asked, frowning at her only son. She was already dressed up for the day's event.

"I'm not Umi. I think I'm having a stomachache. Do you have any hot unsweetened tea?"

"I'll make for you. What did you eat over at the mosque?"

Danial followed his mother to the kitchen and sat on a stool, still rubbing his stomach. "The usual. Briyani rice with chicken curry and sambal goreng. "

"Maybe your stomach was surprise by the spicy food. We have not been having spicy food since Ramadan."

Farah poured hot water into a cup which she had inserted a teabag in. As she stirred the cup, she decided to ask Danial about Sofea.

"When's the last time you spoken to Sofea?"

"A day before iftar at their home," Danial confessed hesistantly.

"Why? That's like two weeks ago."

"I have been busy volunteering for Ramadan events Umi. I'm sure she understands."

Farah sighed inwardly as she placed the spoon in the sink. She took the cup and gave it to Danial. "Be careful. It's hot."

Danial nodded as he accepted the cup.

"I think you should call her up."

"Who? Sofea? Whatever for Umi? We are going to their house later right?"

Farah folded her arms and raised her eyebrows at him. "You seriously need help in handling girls. A girl wants to be special. She likes calls or texts. She wants praises especially from her future husband. She just wants to be wanted by someone."

"Umi," Danial frown grew deeper as he sighed. "We are getting married next week."

Farah smacked her forehead in frustration. She knew her son had never had a girlfriend before. She had already expected this from him. But to hear it right at that moment, it's quite annoying that he's not a gentleman.

"Trust me Danial. I'm a woman. I know what it feels like to be ignored for 2 weeks by my future husband. It's like I'm just a nobody in your life."

Danial sipped on his hot drink and he could feel his stomach settling with the hot tea. He felt better immediately.

"Alright. I'll give her a call." He placed the cup of tea on the counter and went into the living room for his phone.

He dialled Sofea's phone number and get to her voicemail. He tried two more times and still received the same thing. He decided to text her instead.

"Assalamualaikum. I've tried calling but can't get through. Maybe you can give a call back once you receive this text."

Send.

He went back into the kitchen and grabbed his cup of tea and went to sit on the couch in the living room. His eyes kept glancing at the phone but it never ring. In the end, he decided to leave it and get ready for house visiting.

---

Sofea

She saw the blinking light on her phone and walked across the room for it. Sliding it open, she saw a message from Raihan and a message from Danial.

Raihan's message was a simple "Selamat Hari Raya!" which she just found out it means "Happy New Year" for Muslims.

Danial's message made the corners of her mouth turned upwards as she read it.

"Should I give him the call back?" Sofea pondered as she bit her red lips. She decided to not wear the hijab today because she don't feel like it. She don't want her efforts gone wasted since someone don't bother to give a comment about it.

"I think I let it be. Make him feel what I feel."

Sofea placed her phone back on the dresser and glanced into the mirror.

"Pretty!" Someone shouted as she stepped into the room.

It was Lydia and her younger sister, Lana. They went over to hug their cousin and eyed her from head to toe.

"You looked gorgeous. No wonder Abang Danial agree to marry you," Lydia sing praises upon Sofea, making her feel uncomfortable.

Sofea could feel her cheeks heat up. "I'm just a plain girl. I'm sure he would prefer to have a wife who knows Islam like him and wear a hijab."

"Well.. we all thought that too!" Lana exclaimed with a wide smile yet her smile doesn't match her eyes. Her eyes seemed to be filled with hatred and envy. "But we are all wrong! He chooses you instead. Who knows nothing about Islam."

Lydia nudged Lana in the ribs and shook her head slightly to silence her insensitive sister. Both girls had on the same pair of pale pink outfits and baby blue hijabs. With their similar faces, they look like twins.

"Don't take it to heart. Lana's just jealous. You capture Abang Danial's heart."

Lana scowled at Lydia and rolled her eyes, folding her arms as she sat on the bed. "I don't care."

Sofea hummed awkwardly as she reached for her phone. "Let's go downstairs. I'm sure everyone is here by now."

"Abang Danial you mean?" Lydia wiggled her eyebrows at her.

Lana immediately jumped up and walked pass them, ignoring the fact that she accidentally pushed Sofea aside.

"Lana!" Lydia scolded but Lana had already dissappeared. She turned to Sofea and offered a smile guiltily, she said, "Sorry about that. Abang Danial was one of the hottest man alive. Unfortunately, he never set his eyes on us. So Lana was super upset about the fact he agreed to your wedding who does not wear a hijab."

Sofea's cheeks was blushing red upon hearing her comment about Danial being the "hottest man". She have to admit, he was definitely one of the hottest man on her list.

"Forget about it. Let's go down."

Sofea grabbed Lydia's arm and turned her towards the door. Her heart was beating fast as she can't wait to see her hot future husband.
----

A/N: An update for everyone. Finally. I know i know. I'm super duper sorry for not updating earlier.

Moving is a very tiring thing. Finally gotten ourselves to paint the living room. We still have 3 more rooms to paint mind you.

So I'll try my best to update ASAP.

Hope you like this chapter. Next: Sofea and Danial met and they have to counter Sofea's rude uncle.

Remember to vote!! Thank you!