running

bens pov

"LETS GO GUYS.NOW!" Tina screamed up the staircase. The kids came running down the stairs with Marci lagging behind. she rubbed her eyes attempting to wipe the tiredness away. I waited at the bottom of the wooden staircase and scooped her up into my arms. She instantly dropped her head on my shoulder as her right arm hooked around my neck. I pressed kisses into her golden blonde curly locks. Every time I look at her I am amazed at how much of me she took on.  Although she is a mirror face image of Tina with her big eyes, tiny button nose and fuller lips, she took on my hair color, eye color, and is even on the lighter side of skin tones. Shes so beautiful I cant help but smile everytime I see her.

Her bottom lip was in a pout much like Tinas when she is falling asleep. She was fighting sleep as we were trying to get going as soon as possible.

Today was finally the day. We had told the kids last night that we were going on a little vacation-at least I hoped it would little. My stomach started to perform tricks as I thought of all of the outcomes. Would if my mother found us? The first she would try to harm would no doubt be Tina. The next would be my baby girl Marci. 

I made my way out of the detailed double wooden doors and across the lawn to our SUV. I opened the dakota brown back door and placed her in her carseat. As I connected the two pieces of plastic that met in the middle of her chest the scar that Mimi left on my baby was poking out of her red elmo t-shirt. The third degree burn was now healed but the scar still cut deep into my soul. I ran my thumb over the damaged skin feeling the unevenness that rested there now. There was  slight color difference as well that would never go away. I held back my tears for the boys were just a seat away. they sat comfortably in the third row of the GL55O. They were consumed by the two blue light screens and secluded with their headphones that blocked out the rest of the world. I left a lingering kiss on my babys forehead and observed how peaceful she was in her sleep. just like her mother I thought.

*an hour later*

As I gripped the steering wheel a bit harder, I tried to focus myself on the road and our destination. Seeing Marcis burn from Mimi made me angry all over again. I couldnt help but remember that day.

"ben are you sure about this? i mean after her act with me im not sure if i trust leaving our CHILDREN with her!" Tina said to me with concern. she looked up at me with a mix of fury but worry in her big brown eyes. I took offense quickly to her statement. "what the hell Tina you really think my mother would hurt a child? let alone my children?" i semi-yelled back at her. I was more  embarrassed than anything but my anger was seeping out a bit more. 

"ben i dont care about you damn feelings right now so you can cut the attitude and actually think about the safety of our kids!" she now yelled back at  me. her hands were on her hips and  her neck was moving which let me know she was beyond pissed. "im not going to fight with you right now i will PROVE to you she wont do a damn thing to our kids shes not a monster!" I yelled getting in her face. I looked down into her eyes that were welling up with tears. My pride got the best of me and I walked away. "you will be the one crying once she tries shit with MY kids!" she shouted as I walked away. I slammed the front door shut and took off to Mimis.

*three hours later*

I laid in bed thinking about the fight I had with Tina. I could see why she would be cautious but to think my mother would do harm to the kids was crazy. But it definitely had me wondering. I took a look at the time and it had been two hours since Tina left to go pick up the kids. We hadn't spoke a word to each other since. She needed to cool off as did I. 

I started to worry as she hadn't walked through the door yet with the kids. I stared at the white numbers on my phone. it read 5:30 pm. Within a blink an adorable picture of Tina and Marci making crazy faces pops up on my phone. I couldnt fathom why she hannt come home yet but why she was calling. 

I stared at the picture for a couple more seconds before I swiped to the green phone. "yes?" I asked in a bit of an unamused voice. I straightened my attitude when I heard Tina sobbing on the other line. She said no words and all I could hear was her stuffy nose and her whimpers. "Tina..whats going on are you okay?" I asked now very worried. I stood up quickly from the bed and started pacing our room with the phone clutched tightly in my hand and held firmly against my ear. Horrific cries rang through the phone and she couldnt get her words out. "pumpkin PLEASE talk to me what is wrong?!" I tried to contain my worry.

"get to the hospital....now." she said in a low voice. My heart started pumping out of my chest and my hand started to shake. "Tina whats wrong are you okay?" i asked going into our closet and slipping a shirt over my head. "she burned Marci Ben. SHE BURNED A FUCKING THREE YEAR OLD DAMNIT SHE BURNED HER!" she screamed hysterically through the phone. i couldnt believe what I was hearing as rage and regret filled my head. "calm down ill be there" is all I said before I through my phone across the room. 

*at the hospital*

I ran to Tina as she stood with her arms clutched around herself and tear stains in her cheeks. I pulled her in a strong embrace as her cries grew louder. I tucked my hands behind her curls and massaged her scalp like I usually do when shes extremely upset about something. after a couple of minutes her breathing leveled. she pulled away from me slightly and looked me in the eye. I didnt notice i was crying until she took her small thin fingers and wiped away the tears flowing down my cheeks. 

"its a third degree burn all over her chest Ben ive never been so horrified and angry in my entire life i knew she would do something bad i knew it!" she said looking at me with nothing but sadness. I let out a heavy cry. i couldnt believe i let my baby girl get hurt. i felt like i had set her up for this. "im so sorry" i kept saying weakly as she held me in her arms. i couldnt even look Tina in the face. She pulled my head to her level and placed a soft kiss on my lips.

"you didnt burn her ben so stop" she reassured me as she raked her fingers through my hair. 

When Marci returned home I couldnt forgive myself. always seeing the huge burn scar on her chest just reminded me of my mistake. I almost grew further away from my little girl thinking i might hurt her again.

in the mist of it all Tina helped me forgive myself. but every now and then the guilt creeps back up. I felt a hand on my thy pulling me out of my thoughts. I turned to see Tina giving me a sympathetic look. The sound of the car humming was a soothing background noise. I took her hand in mine and brought it to my lips to kiss. "her scar" was all i said and Tina squeezed my hand a bit harder. "Ben stop" she said shaking her head. she leaned over to place a kiss on my cheek. "we are going to be okay" she said.

all I could do was hope she was right.