Chapter 4- Explanations

Hermione was excited to go back to her old home, Hogwarts. She was certain that the experience would almost be exactly the same as it had been the last 7 years. With a few tweaks here in there, considering that the school had undergone renovations. Hermione had heard that as an ode to Hogwarts history they tried to salvage as much of the original architecture as possible. Hopefully, it will be just like the war never even happened, Hermione thought.

She had already sent in her letter of attendance, which was necessary for returning seventh years. There were two days before the term started. Hermione had decided that she would dedicate a day to buying books and other things she needed. She could probably just use her robes from last time she went to Hogwarts. Hopefully she was not much taller. But before she could go shopping for school things, there was one thing she wanted to do. Speak to Lavender. It would be hard for Hermione, as her heart was still healing due to the wedding. But she wanted to know about the details. How long he had been cheating, was it only with one girl, etc. Hermione wanted to know about it so that the tiny questioning voice in her head would stop asking why.

She lay in bed for a few more minutes thinking about these things before she sat up and opened her eyes. Her cat, Crookshanks, was laying on the pillow beside her playing with her hair. She had missed the little furry thing since the end of the war. He had come back recently, of his own accord, and of course Hermione was delighted.

"But enough of the dream world and reliving my past," Hermione said out loud. She climbed out of bed and set to work making her breakfast.

~ Soon enough, Hermione was sitting in the Three Broomsticks waiting for Lavender to arrive. In order to keep herself from looking stupid, she wiped her lip every time she took a sip of her butterbeer. She nervously drummed her fingernails on the counter top. Hermione needed to know this. But she wasn't really sure if she wanted it or not. Ron had been cheating on her. She could tell by the look in his eyes when she said it. She tried to not picture her ex-fiance's lips on another's. She tried to not picture him laughing at her jokes. To not think of them running out of the rain, laughing. It was past her now. Ron didn't really matter to her anymore. She tried to assure herself this as she wiped a stray tear out of her eye. No more tears, pessimistic patty, Hermione thought and attempted to compose herself as she heard the door open for the millionth time.

She chewed her fingernails as she heard someone sit in her booth. They cleared their throat and Hermione knew she had to look up. There she was, Lavender Brown. In the flesh. Looking radiant and perfect as always.

Lavender sat down quickly and smiled. As Hermione looked into her face she noticed that she was no longer the lovesick teenager she used to be. She had grown into a graceful woman. Lavender wore a tank top with some jeans. It was good that she understood this was casual.

"So Hermione," she started. "What do you want to know?"

She thought about it for a moment. There were so many questions and thoughts in her mind.

"Were you the only one?" she asked.

"No."

Hermione's heart shattered a little bit more.

"Who.." she struggled to get the words out. "Who else?"

Lavender thought about this for a moment. Hermione continued to attempt to keep herself together.

"Pansy Parkinson."

Hermione was a bit surprised. A Slytherin? Wow. A pug for a dog, she thought.

"For how long?" she asked.

Once again, Lavender was hesitant. She looked at Hermione like she was carrying four glasses at once. Cautiously.

"Please," Hermione whispered in anticipation. "Just tell me."

"A week after your engagement."

It took the breath out of Hermione that time. As she waited to recover she signaled the waitress for another butterbeer.

Finally, Hermione worked up the courage to ask the final question.

"Did you love him?"

Lavender was surprised that such a thoughtful question had arisen. Her eyes glistened. She looked very thoughtful.

"Y-yes," she uttered. "I still do."

And at that Lavender stood up from the table and rushed out of the place, her cheeks as red as tomatoes. Leaving Hermione alone with her thoughts and a butterbeer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N

Hey guys! I can't believe how many people have already seen this book! It's amazing and I want to thank you soooo much! You guys mean the world to me so every vote, read and comment is amazing! I'm going on holidays soon, and then going back to school. So you might see less of me.

-ash