Chapter 28- Intemperate Reactions

As soon as the doctor said this and Hermione passed out, he scuttled outside of the room like a spooked crab. But Draco didn't notice. His head was spinning. The room was spinning, shrouded in red. He was so angry. Draco felt the blood rushing through his veins, his heart pumping faster than it had ever before. That bastard. He had done this to Hermione. That bastard had hurt her. That bastard had done this. He had done... the unspeakable.

The words echoed through his head, over and over.

"Good luck, Mr Malfoy."

It taunted him. Draco put his head in his hands. He felt like he was breathing fire. Hot air. How could this happen? One thing after another, he thought. One fucking thing after the other.

"I'm going to kill that motherfucker!" Draco roared and stood, kicking the chair across the room.

He could practically feel his bones poking out of his knuckles. All he felt was anger. But then... he heard the faint sobs coming from the bed. She was awake. He rushed to her side, sitting in a chair, it loudly scraping across the ground in his quick movement. Draco grasped her hands tightly, tried to pull her into consciousness and stress his urgency.

"Hermione, we've got to go to the police."

She shook her head, tears still running down her face. Hermione wasn't saying anything. Her eyes were closed tightly. Draco stood again, moving away from her. The anger rose again. She wasn't doing anything. That bastard would be free. Innocent. That bastard could do it again. He couldn't stand still. He wanted to smash something. Draco couldn't believe she could just sit there.

"We can't let him get away with this! We've got to go the police, Hermione!" He shouted, pacing.

"Please..."

Her voice was so quiet. But it calmed him. He took her hand and kneeled beside her bed. Just touching her skin, his heart slowed and he calmed down. All his anger was gone. He looked at her, watched the tears run down her beautiful face. Draco reached up and wiped them off her cheek. She was beautiful even when she cried. But it hurt to see her sad. Draco just wanted it to stop.

"Please, Draco." She opened her eyes, looking into his. "Just let it go. I want to forget. I want to have a good Christmas. I want to stay with you."

Again, she reached up to tousle his hair, a faint smile on her face, but her hand fell short. She was weak. He leant over and kissed her on the cheek.

"Okay, Hermione."

She shut her eyes again, but not before giving him a sweet smile through her tears. He stood and started towards the window, to check the weather.

"Draco?" Hermione said quietly, making him stop and turn.

"Yes?"

She gave him a weak smile.

"Stay with me?"

He nodded and sidled over to her bed. Lying down beside her. And stay he did.

~

Hermione was lying in the bed, covers over her head. She felt like she was underwater, swimming up to consciousness. The nurse must've given her something to calm down. But it sure didn't help with keeping her eyes open. She could hear whispers, only sections of words and sentences. The sound was muted like it was playing through a crummy television set.

".... When will she...? "

"All that... she'll..."

This went on for a while. Fractions of the sentences. Through her sleep, she caught "pregnancy", "Hermione", "due date". Hermione opened her eyes, sick of only hearing half of the conversation. The conversation in general, really. She looked around. A blue hospital curtain surrounded her bed. Draco's chair stood beside the bed, pulled out like he had stood abruptly. The linoleum was scratched. Another flash, of a chair thrown across the room and a primal scream. Hermione flinched.