Chapter 29- Enamoured Expression

Hermione smelt cinnamon. Nutmeg. Cherries. A sweetness, a warmness. A hint of chocolate. It was Christmas pudding. She sat up from where she was lying, sitting up, her elbows sliding on the silk covers. Draco was lying next to her, the sheets covering his lower half. His hair was mussed, and a troubled look was on his face. He was handsome even when he slept. She sat up and swung her legs over to the side. Hermione looked down and saw her feet. Her toenails were painted a soft blue. She had done them yesterday, in front of the fire as Narcissa told stories of Draco's previous Christmases, making Hermione laugh and Draco fume.

As she pushed open the bedroom door, the smell wafted up the stairs. It was stronger now that she was coming closer. She followed the scent, smiling and leaning against the doorjamb as she finally found the source of the amazing smell in the kitchen. Narcissa had prepared a whole table of sweet, delicious Christmas food. Puddings, ice cream, Christmas ham and many other interesting dishes. This was nearly the amount of food they served at Hogwarts for a whole table. At this, Hermione realised it was Christmas Eve. But she didn't have much time to ponder this, as Narcissa turned around and ran over.

"Do you like it?" She said excitedly, gesturing to all the food. "I'm getting ready for tomorrow."

Hermione nodded and smiled politely, dumbfounded. How could I not realise it was Christmas Eve? And she hadn't gotten any presents for Draco. Or even the boys, or Ginny. Or anyone for that matter.

Noticing that Hermione was at a loss for words, Narcissa put her hand on her shoulder. "If you can, I'd like you two to set up the Christmas tree today."

"Sure."

Hermione exited the room quickly, still freaking out. Thoughts were rushing through her head as she ran up the stairs. I suppose with all the drama, I forgot that the holiday was so close. It hadn't really been much of a holiday at all so far. She reached the door to the bedroom, sighed and slid down the doorframe with her eyes shut, sitting on the ground. It was creeping up on her. The fear. Of the future. And the memories. But before she could fall into the black hole, she felt his hand on her shoulder. Looking down upon her were the smiling grey eyes.

"You ok, Granger?"

And then the black hole closed. Draco was here. He would protect her no matter what. Noticing her the absence of an answer, he stuck out a hand and pulled her up. He pulled her into her arms, walked backwards with her over to the bed and made her sit down while he dressed.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm okay." She replied after a while.

A few moments passed. Hermione tugged at the edge of her nightie.

"Good. Well, I was thinking we could head down to Diagon Alley."

"What, so I can buy you more gifts?" Hermione playfully asked, strutting over to him with her hands on her hips.

Draco laughed for a second and suddenly pulled her close. "The only thing I want for Christmas is you."

"Very funny, Draco." Hermione stifled a smile, grabbed her clothes and went into the bathroom to change.

As she changed, he banged on the door and teased her. Draco moaned and groaned, saying she was too slow. Before this year this would've annoyed her immensely, but now it was kind of cute.

"Oooh! Is that lingerie I see?" He teased, his eye peering through the keyhole.

"Nothing you haven't seen before." Hermione winked as she opened the door and walked past him.

Maybe I'm getting too used to this, she thought as Draco clutched his chest laughing. Hermione placed her clothes back in her suitcase and turned around to watch him. Unlike his usual suit and tie, he was wearing a casual plain shirt and jeans. Still pretty formal but more casual than he normally wore.