Chapter 23- A Secret Revealed to the Nation

The next day, Hermione walked into the dining hall, the morning sunlight streaming through the windows, and sat at her usual spot at the Ravenclaw table. She sat alone, as was normal. She took her usual bowl of oatmeal and buttered some toast and started eating, just like she did every morning. Soon, she couldn't take it anymore. She risked a glance at the other end of the Ravenclaw table and just as she was hoping, he was staring at her with those mystifying grey eyes. She poked her tongue out at him and he winked at her, causing her to giggle. Oh god, I'm acting like I'm still in first year. Hermione guiltily looked around to see if anyone noticed, but thankfully, everyone was still doing what they usually do, chatting and sitting with their friends. Those were the days. She resumed staring at her oatmeal and munching on her toast, half asleep.

Hermione was just about to start her oatmeal when Professor McGonagall started her morning breakfast speech.

"Good morning students! Hope you all are feeling well. Isn't it lovely to escape the gloom and see a sunny day for once? I digress. Since you all know that the Christmas holidays are coming up soon, I'd like to tell you about something that will be happening soon after."

She paused her cheery speech for effect and some chatters arose. Hermione was surprised. She had forgotten the holidays were so soon.

"First week back, Hogwarts is hosting the Winter Ball. By the name, I'm sure you can guess the theme. The staff and I are very excited to be doing this and hope you are looking forward to it too! Thank you."

As she stepped down from the podium, the Ravenclaw table went crazy, as well as most of the people in the other houses. Hermione didn't really see the point. There was no point of going to some stupid ball and dancing around in a prissy dress. She didn't really understand the hype. So she resumed eating her breakfast.

"Hermione?"

She looked up to see Ginny. What was she doing here? She sat down in front of Hermione. Sensing that she didn't want to talk, Ginny sighed. A few seconds went by.

"Look, I'm really sorry. I know you have been shutting out Harry and Ron because of me, but you don't need to."

Ginny sat down at the table and looked into her eyes. She looked genuinely sorry and upset.

"Please forgive me. I'll explain everything to you. Even if you won't forgive me, at least talk to the boys, I mean, they didn't do anything..."

She continued blabbering on an apology, looking away and talking faster and faster. Hermione could barely believe that she was really apologising. She has assumed that they would never be friends again. Guess not. She abruptly put down her spoon and took Ginny's hands, making her stop talking.

"I forgive you."

Those three words made Ginny deflate like a balloon. But in a good way. She relaxed in her seat and with that she started jabbering again. Hermione laughed. It was good to have her friend back. She listened to her idle chat for a while, as she silently ate her oatmeal.

"Anyways, since we are talking again I thought we could go dress shopping! You know, since you're going with Draco."

Hermione's eyes bulged out of her head and Ginny cracked up laughing. Once she could tell she was joking, she relaxed.

"But seriously, will you come dress shopping with me? Even if you aren't coming to the ball, I'd like to have you with me for your opinion and..."

Ginny's sentence drifted off, leaving Hermione hanging on to what she was saying.

"And...?" She asked with a matter of urgency. What on earth was she talking about?

"And... I'm really excited! Let's go!!" Ginny's face lit up with a huge smile.