FIVE- Zepher

MY father moves his horse over my pawn, next to my bishop. I analyze the move for a second and try to read his thoughts. A comforting silence hangs in the slightly humid air. I then make up my mind and cross my pawn yet another step forward.

"Check," I warn him.

It takes him a few seconds to find his king discreetly cornered. I used my best strategy. It has never failed. He moves his king to a safe block, and I just smile. This is my favorite part. I make my pawn take its last step.

"My queen." Across the board, I proclaim the weakest piece to manifest the strength of royalty. That's when father sighs and surrenders.

"You got me again, son." Of course. He stares at me and eagerly waits for my reply, and I just laugh. 

"What can I say? I learned from the best," I tell the man who taught me the game.

He genuinely smiles at me, and I avert my gaze to examining the pawn on the old chessboard. I then marvel how such an inferior piece could dominate the whole game if used correctly. That's what I love about chess.

Suddenly, urgent knocks greet us at the door. Father slowly rises and allows a messenger to come strolling in. "Your Majesty." He quickly bows to father. "Your Highness," he addresses me, and I respond with a tiny nod of acknowledgement.

"What's so important now?" Father asks, hinting irritation in his tone. I believe my father is aware that I don't like anybody interrupting my time with him-- as I only see him once in three blue moons.

The messenger slightly stiffens in the stare of my father and the person sitting right next to him. "I-It's just that," he splutters. But he looks like he has the most important secret in the world, of which would be shared with us in a couple of seconds, and he regains his composure. Yet his thin frame starts to quaver with fear and excitement all over again. He hushes his voice and says with a twinkle in his eyes, "We found one."

Father's muscles tense up all together, and I figure out something extraordinary is happening. That's when I join my Father and stand in amazement.

Could it be?

Father reads my exact thoughts and repeats my question. "Could it be? Where, when, who?"

"Apparently, she was found-"

"She?" Father interrupts. Even I think my ears deceiving me. I'm probably too overwhelmed by all the information I am hearing. It is, after all, my first time to be in a meeting discussing such important private matters like these.

He nods and continues. "She was found to be a common military student, that had no recorded signs until a few hours ago in her Battle Rounds."

A commoner.

"A graduate? This year?" Father can't hide the excitement in his eyes. This could change everything. "Are you certain of this information?"

"Things have yet to be confirmed, but my lord's presence is requested in the government facility."

He thought about it for a bit. "Cancel everything I have scheduled for today. I'll be there in an hour or so. You are dismissed."

"Of course, Sire." He bows and exits the room as quickly as he came in. There is silence as Father opens drawers and picks some files and documents, preparing for the journey. He then exclaims, "This is what we've all been waiting for! This could make histo--"

"I'm going," I blurt. There isn't anything he can do to stop me, really. In addition, I strongly believe this topic would push my buttons of curiosity and make me more... exposed. See it as a change, so I don't actually live within the walls of this extravagant castle for the rest of my life. Maybe the rumours claiming that, "The Prince is dead!" would die down.

And for a moment he just stares at me. Disbelief is etched across his face. He hasn't seen me take initiative to do something in awhile. But I reason out with him and plead, "I need to see this. I need to see her."

He studies my expression for a bit, and then he smiles and nods his head.

"Pack your things."

cover made by RachelS8766