EIGHTEEN- Rogue

WE find a small stream gurgling peacefully through rocks and ferns. 

After quenching our dehydration, Mason gives me a look and nods his head towards Calia.

As Celeste takes more time to lap up water, I go over to Calia in caution. My movements are so slow, so careful. She must notice because she looks away almost immediately.

"I'm fine," she says even before I can ask. 

Her tone is flat. I can't catch any stray emotions.

I nod as I take a seat next to her. Nothing but the sound of the stream and the chirps of the birds are heard. I cast a glance at her to see if she's crying. Surprisingly, she isn't. 

She has a bored look on her face, like we're spending too much daylight here when we could be moving towards our destination across the bridge. 

Impatiently, she stands on her feet. "Let's get going," she says to Mason when Celeste is finished.

She usually never orders us around, but this time, we all know she should have things her way. At least for today. She's been through so much, and she hasn't shed but one tear. 

A strong warrior who doesn't have the time to mourn loss. Who doesn't need time to heal. Heartless, ruthless, cold. 

It's only a mask. 

Because I know later, she'll volunteer to take first shift to watch the night.

She'll check to see if we're asleep. 

She'll wait a little while until she can be sure. 

She'll cry.

She'll take all the shifts, crying until there are no more tears left.