FORTY-ONE- Zepher

*Please note that this chapter jumps from flashbacks to the present time! Flashback in italics. Advisable to read this chapter carefully. Enjoy!*

WE walked hand-in-hand toward the palace garden, her  waist gently nestled against my strong arm. Rows of delicate jasmine lined the small stone pathway, cross-crossing the open space as wisteria falls aimlessly onto our shoulders in passionate waves. It was most likely the work of an Elemental whose trembling flowers slowly bloomed in the winter's solstice.

The looming palace looked unusually brilliant as sunlight reflected against its crystalline facets. Birds soared across the cobalt blue sky while wispy clouds lay low across the horizon. Unkempt holly bushes grew across the darkening courtyard, their small flowers embracing crimson berries contrasting their hues from the snow beginning to cover the cold stone below.

Everything seemed to tinkle in its own light.

She was clad in a beautiful soft white satin dress almost subtly hidden by a grey fur coat, her blonde hair bouncing against her shoulders as she strode forward in light steps. I, in contrast, wore my new polished combat boots with my hair slick back in its signature low swooping wave. My eyes were glued on the back of her fragile build as she ran ahead and danced like a child, twirling underneath the falling snow. Meeting my eyes with an enchanted expression, she dashed back to me as her cold fingers gently intertwined with mine.

"It's warm," she said, as her grip on my hand tightened for a moment. Her small hand seemed to blend into mine. She slowly looked up at me with a doe-eyed gaze. I found myself lost in her entrancing blue irises."Don't let go. I like it this way." 

The manner in which she nestled her head onto my shoulders, as we dream walked, made my heart race, my cheeks and ears flushed a light shade of pink. Thankful she couldn't see my face, I smiled and looked up to the  sky in pure delight.

Because I liked it too.

We passed by the frozen lake and feathery-looking pine trees. I noticed the old oak tree was fringed with blue icicles that illuminated the sun rays in glistening angles. It was a beautiful sight. We stood there for a moment, appreciating the scenery on the lake's drawn bridge. Crystallised images of ourselves looking down gleamed into the stilled water, reflecting the stupid grins on our faces. "I would like to show you something," she softly said, tugging on my sleeve.

Flashing her a smile, I allowed her to lead me though the cold winter, her cold hands contrasting with my warmth. Our footsteps crunched against shrivelled fall leaves as we engraved our footprints on the light blanket of snow. We followed the stoney pathway, stepping over the icy terrain, keeping our conversation to a minimum, both of us not wanting to disrupt the comforting silence, this moment.  We understood each other, and we liked it that way.

That's how we were... Claire and I.

But naturally, just like the seasons--things change.

Claire slowly began developing a habit of offering nothing but a small smile whenever we happened to pass each other in the hallways. It wasn't entirely her fault, though, for it was quite rare to find my arms free from any clingy princesses or young Monarchs.