TWENTY-FOUR- Zepher

I walk past Airis' office to find it in turmoil.

"Get Levi! Now!" Airis commands an officer beside him. The officer scurries out of the office, only managing a small bow and a quick, "Your Highness," to acknowledge my presence before running off. 

Puzzled, I knock twice on the half-open door, but my knocks are drowned in the chaos, and no one hears. I start to walk away, not wanting to bother anyone, but Airis storms out, his hair a mess for the first time. 

"Zepher," he says when he sees me. 

But before any of us can say anything else, several men are marching down the hallway in our direction in a perfect V-formation. The leader, who doesn't look a year older than me, stares at me as they pass. 

His grey eyes are captivatingly beautiful, but piercing and cold. 

"Levi, the Hallow River down south. It's serious." Airis' voice is low and worrisome. 

Levi gives a quick nod of understanding. 

They storm out, and disappear into the empty hallways. 

"What's wrong? Is Rogue in trouble?"

Usually, we're forbidden to make contact with any of the students during their Finals, but Rogue was an exception for Father. He commanded Airis to protect Rogue if she ever found herself in a near-death situation. It's only happened one other time if I'm not mistaken.

Airis sighs. "That girl just can't stay away from danger long enough." 

Worry fills up to my throat, but I swallow it down. We nod our farewells as we part ways down the hall. And I'm not sure if I heard wrong, or imagined it--I'm too far to be sure--but I swear I hear Airis mumble to himself as I walk away.

"Just like her mother."