2. Demon 101

2. Demon 101

"All right, ready for today's lesson?" Franco asks me.

"Depends on what we're doing," I say cautiously.

After our escape from the hospital, we found ourselves an abandoned apartment complex. It wasn't in the best condition, but it was livable enough for two demons who just want to get their footing. What's even better was that, next to the apartment complex was an abandoned gym. The perfect arena for our training once we happened on it.

Since demons don't sleep, Franco insisted that we did a little looting first to get some extra changes of clothes. That had been an oddly thrilling experience. Mainly, half of my wardrobe was workout things and the other half wasn't.

So now, here we are, in the boxing ring, decked out in workout gear in the middle of the night. My eyes take in the dust particles swinging around in the air. I've pulled my dark hair back for this. Franco has decided that a shirt isn't necessary. Let me tell you, it's very difficult to not stare, especially with the scarring.

"Let's test out your fighting skills first, before we get into the more...magical concepts." He slowly starts to circle me. "Show me what you know."

I run blindly for him, swinging. He ducks, kicking my back. I go stumbling against the ropes, ricocheting off them. I quickly block his punch and strike in a hit on his ribs. I throw my weight against him, forcing me away from the rope wall. I halt, and he goes stumbling forward.

"Good," he says. He goes for me this time, and I block the strikes to my face.

The parries of flesh against flesh echo in the abandoned gym. I hiss as I feel his foot connect with my leg. I spin, lashing out. He grabs my arm, catapulting me forward, sending me to the ground. I grit my teeth, shoving him away with a push of extra power inside of me. I see Franco lift off the ground and land on his stomach in the ring.

"Well, looks like we can skip that lesson," he grunts, picking himself up off the floor. We run for each other at the same time, and he body slams me to the ground. The air is taken out of my lungs, and I knock my head into his. He tries to straddle me, restraining my arms above my head. I kick on the ring floor in frustration. "Sloppy method there, Avery." He tisks.

"Excuse me for my muscle memory not kicking in." I frown, catching my breath. "Your meat-suit take up boxing?"

"Nope, that's all me." He smirks. "And that is your muscle memory. Sloppy muscle memory."

I grunt, wiggling uneasily. "Then help me perfect it, and whatever I just did with our version of the Force. You say I'm a demon, help me embrace that."

"You've got an eager attitude. Good." He unpins my arms, helping me up. "We'll work on your skills a bit before we put you out on the field."

I tilt my head. "Do we serve under anyone? Got a boss to answer to?" I frown slightly at my own question. I hope I don't respond to anyone.

"We don't, no. We have a King, sure, but..." He chuckles. "I personally think it's time for a new era, with what he's done. Hell barely functions properly, as you and I are living proof of that. It doesn't get escapees too often."

"Sounds like Hell's gone pretty lax."

"It did long enough for us to escape. Less talking, more fighting."

We resume our fighting, tossing each other towards the ring's ropes. I sometimes think they'll break with how forceful we're sent into them. I can sense that Franco is holding back, because he's letting me hit him more. He's trying to act as though his reflexes are slowing, tiring. I know they're not.