12. Pontiac, Illinois

"And Cas didn't say what it was? He just said he had an emergency and wanted us there for backup?" asks Dean.

"You think I can read his mind or something?" I retort from the Impala backseat. Dean, like always, is the driver. "I didn't get time to ask, he hung up on me."

"Did you think to call him back?"

"We'll find out, anyway." I stick my tongue out.

"You're not worried?"

"Oh, I'm totally worried," I admit. "I'm just holding it inside."

My brothers and I had just finished a case in Hibbing, Minnesota, involving a sheriff's retreat and vampires. I finally got to meet Jody Mills, who the boys have known for years. I also got to be acquainted with Sheriff Donna Hanscum, who seemed overfriendly and had a dick of an ex-husband whose head I wanted to rip off from the moment he breathed in my vicinity. Unfortunately, for me, for society, and even Donna, her ex-husband's pathetic life got spared.

Granted, if I had gotten the chance, I would've made his death look like an accident.

We didn't get to rest long in the bunker, because that's when Cas reached out with his "emergency". We're now in Pontiac, Illinois. This reason has to be legitimate. Cas wouldn't reach out if it was something he could easily handle.

Dean pulls the Impala over once we see Cas outside of a restaurant.

"All right, what's so important that it was a necessary ride out to Pontiac?" I ask as we climb out.

"It's Claire," says Cas.

"Um, Claire?" I'm not sure whether to be worried or annoyed right now. This name is a new one to me.

"Wait, hold on," says Dean. "Claire as in Claire Novak? As in the daughter of your vessel you took?"

Cas looks annoyed. "Yes, Dean, that Claire."

Okay, makes sense. I guess if I remove Cas out of this body, this man could easily be a man with a wife and a daughter. I relax the anger, there's no need for it.

"Okay," I say slowly. "So, what about her?"

"She's run off, and I have no idea where she went."

"Well..." I pinch the bridge of my nose. "Okay, so, how'd you find her in the first place?"

"She was at a group home. I tried the normal, human way of getting her out, but that didn't work. So, I had to resort to other measures."

"Meaning you did a jailbreak."

Cas nods. "You could word it like that."

I lick my lips. Dean scoffs. "This is why you called us?" he asks, a bit exasperated. "This is your emergency?"

"Yes!" Cas says.

"No, Cas! Emergency is a dead body, okay? Or—or a wigged-out angel, or the Apocalypse, take three. Some chick bolting on you is not an emergency. That's...that's every Friday night for Sam."

"Dude," says Sam.

"Well..." I kind of agree with Dean. Sam looks at me in surprise, like his eyes are saying, How are you agreeing with that?