13. Claire Novak

13. Claire Novak

Night has fallen, and Dean has Baby parked in an alleyway. We're right across the street from the convenience store, waiting for Claire to sneak her way in. Right now, there's just one customer inside, two people total if you count the cashier at the register.

"You want me in there before she gets there?" I ask Cas.

"I really don't see the point in you coming with me," he says sincerely.

I shrug. "I want to meet her." And before anyone can say a word, I cross the street and enter the store. I've made the store's population rise to three people now at the sound of a bell ringing.

Even though I don't care to buy anything, I put on a good act and pretend to look around. My eyes stray to the door every few seconds, waiting for a teenage girl to step in. I'm not armed. I don't see why I should be. I'm a demon. With my strength alone, I can handle Claire. Besides, whatever she has—if she has any weapon—won't hurt me. I don't see her being the type to know about demons and what can kill them.

I hear the bell ring, and I look. She's hiding pretty obviously, hood pulled over her head. I roll my eyes. Rookie. Too obvious. But people can be stupid nowadays, so she could look like an ordinary customer to the cashier or the other person in the store. I slowly walk down the aisle full of junk food like chips and Cheetos. The only other person has just left the store.

Claire keeps her head down and her back to me, so I can't get her features. I slowly move in. Through the door's glass, I see Cas making his move towards the store now.

I wince at hearing a gun being opened and then closed. She's doing this the bad way. Dear God, kid. What the hell are you doing? Why? I watch her as she slinks to the cash register. I see the silver come out of her pocket. But at the same time, Cas enters the store and intervenes, grabbing her arm. I hear Claire gasp, and she turns to see Cas has her. I remove myself from the store, heading out into the cold air, crossing the street back to my brothers.

"Claire, wait!" I hear Cas shout. I spin around to see Claire, hood down and away from her face, as she tries to run away from Cas. Of course, she's not as smart as I thought she was, as she's running into the path of my brothers, myself, and the Impala.

"Screw you," she says gruffly, her long blonde hair twisting as she moves. I remember my hair being blonde. I consciously touch the black locks I've got now. What a body switch will do to a person.

"Whoa, hey, Miley Cyrus," Dean tells her. "Settle."

"Eat me, Hasselhoff."

"Well, damn, someone's got a big mouth on her," I say.

She gives me a pointed, blue-eyed stare. "And who're you supposed to be? Someone's whore?"

"Hey now." My jaw locks.

"Don't think I didn't see you in there. I'm not an idiot."

"Oh, really? Because going into a store looking like you're about to rob the place is such a good plan." I cross my arms.

"Jo, back off," Sam warns me. "Claire, hold on a second. Look, my name's—"

"Sam," says Claire. "And you're Dean. We've met, remember?"

"Nice to meet you. Josette Winchester," I say curtly.

Claire snorts. "Where were you when I met them the first time?"