39. The Blackbird Motel

Rain follows us as I drive Charlie to the Blackbird Motel in the night.

Lightning strikes, thunder claps, but it doesn't faze me any. Nothing really does at this point. Charlie has the radio going, singing under her breath to any of the songs that play through the stereo.

Charlie gets checked into the motel. The hairs on my arms stand on end, like someone's close. Someone's watching. I want to take a look around, but I remain near Charlie just in case.

The feeling doesn't go away, even as I sit on the bed in the room.

"Ezekiel...seven letters," Charlie mutters to herself. She's glued to her computer. Rain pounds against the window of the room. "Seven represents the seeker. Okay. Okay. Saints represent groups of letters that represent numbers...that stand for concepts represented by...Oh, wow. I might be a genius."

I leap off the bed, hovering over Charlie's shoulder. "Did you crack it?"

"I-I might have."

"Charlie, I could kiss you right now."

I stand straight at a loud pounding on the door. Charlie startles under me. She looks up at me, and I shush her with a finger to my mouth.

"I know you're in here, Miss Asimov," says an unfamiliar voice. "You have it. I want it."

"Charlie?" I whisper. "What's going on?"

"T-they found me." She hastily gathers the computer, and all her notes, in her arms. I grab her arm as she tries to scurry into the bathroom.

"Hold on, Charlie. Who found you?"

"The people who think the Book of the Damned is theirs. The Stynes. How many are after me?"

"I don't know." There's more loud pounding on the door.

"Open up!" the voice shouts.

"We're stuck," Charlie whispers.

"Okay, I've got a plan," I say, grabbing Charlie's arms. "You go find cover. I'll take point so when whoever walks in, they won't see me because of the door. We'll lure them in, and then you let me do the rest, okay?"

Charlie nods. All the color has left her face. "J-Josette?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm so glad you're here."

I nudge her towards the bathroom, pulling out the angel blade I've had for a while now. "Go hide."

"W-what if something happens to you?"

"Well, do you have a weapon on you?" She nods. "Then you go down fighting if you have no other choice and they corner you. Now, go."

Charlie flees into the bathroom, and the storm outside is picking up. I put myself against the wall, and the door opens, nearly smashing into me. The wind howls, and the door is left open. My grip tightens on the blade. I blow out a breath. Kill, don't maim. We don't want him walking out of this alive.

A figure steps into the room, dripping wet. The most notable feature is that his arm is bleeding and is a stump. The fuck is this guy? Already, he's not human. But he doesn't seem like a creature that goes bump in the night.