37. Decoders

37. Decoders

In the end, we ship Claire off to Jody Mills, someone we all agree will take good care of her. I get a goodbye out of Claire, although I know my exposure back at the barn didn't do me any favors, or her. If she's the kind that grows up to be a hunter, she'd be the one to kill me. I'm sure she's feeling something along the lines of she wants to kill me because I couldn't save Amelia.

That bridge will get crossed should it ever reach that point.

So, a few days after we shipped Claire away, Sam and I decide it's time to check in on our imprisoned witch, Rowena.

"Nothing?" I say as I stare down the redhead. "You've got nothing?! Rowena, it's been days! You said the codex would crack the code."

"I am an artist, Josette," Rowena drawls. "These things cannot be rushed. Perhaps if I weren't chained up...I'm really not at full strength."

"Yeah, and you won't be at full strength," says Sam. "No witchcraft. Look, we need the cure for our brother from the book, and if you're stalling..."

"Why on earth would I stall?! I want the Mark off your brother for my own protection! I want out of these chains and out of this pit, and I want you to hold up your end of the deal and kill Crowley. You do remember the deal, do you not, Samuel?"

"Believe me, we have no issue killing Crowley!"

"The problem is, the language Nadya used in the codex is damn near indecipherable. She was a gifted witch but a selfish pig. Once she cracked a code, she then coded its secrets for herself."

"So...Now we need to break a code to...break a code?" I ask.

"Quick, aren't you?"

"Listen, Dean gets worse every day. Get this done."

"You won't forget the grocery shopping, will you?"

I roll my eyes. "No." I should poison your food once this is done.

"What, you weren't up for scare tactics with her?" Sam asks me once we're out of the room.

"Why try? I'm sure demons don't bother her." I shrug. "And I'm not feeling trying to scare the word of God into her." I rub my eyes. "I know demons don't sleep, but God, does she exhaust me."

"You and me both, Jo."

We both climb into my truck. "You know, I'm amazed Dean hasn't figured us out yet."

"He's wrapped up in other things, and you know that."

"I don't know how much longer we can keep this from him, Sam. Something's bound to give, and when it does, shit is gonna hit the fan."

* * *

"I don't need to be guided, Jo, I'm not blind," Sam insists tiredly.

"Well, considering your lack of sleep made you nearly fall down stairs and bump into walls, I beg to differ." I snort as I hover over Sam down the bunker steps. Dean's in the bunker library, a laptop in front of him. He notices us coming in.

"Wow," he says. "Well, you look like crap on toast."

"I just haven't...really been sleeping well," says Sam.

"There a woman you haven't mentioned?"

"A woman?" I ask, tilting my head.