26. Cain

26. Cain

"Holy. Shit."

Thanks to the intel we got, we find Cain's burial grounds. Cas and I are in a clearing, filled with dozens of freshly made graves.

"Well, if this isn't Cain, then Illinois has a serial killer on the loose," I say, trying to not step on the dirt mound. I whistle lowly. "They've got to know."

Cas nods, dialing Dean's number as we slowly walk among the graves. He makes sure to put it on speaker.

"Hey, where you at?" is Dean's greeting.

"Illinois," says Cas.

"Is Jo with you? I tried reaching her, but she hasn't gotten back to me."

"I'm here, Dean," I say. "Cas recruited me, got me out of the bunker."

"Guys, we got a lead. Cain abducted a Texas death row inmate named Tommy Tolliver."

"He's dead," I say, bending down. I find a white sneaker with initials 'TDJC' on the bottom.

"What? How do you know?"

"Call it an educated guess. Cain has been very busy."

"Okay, where are you? We'll come to you."

"Cas," I whisper, looking around, through the trees. "We're not alone. Someone's here." I can feel it. It's a dark presence, so thick that it feels like it's suffocating me where I stand.

"We'll call you back," Cas says, ending the call.

I stiffen, backing up towards Cas as who I presume to be Cain steps into view. His hair, from on his head to facial, is gray. His gaze looks like it's been frozen in the murderous stare. I feel a fleeing fear in the back of my brain, but I suppress it. This is the guy we've been looking for since Dean received the Mark. If anyone knows how to get rid of it, it's him.

"Hello, Castiel," says Cain. "Who's your friend?"

"Josette Winchester," I say boldly. "You might know my older brother, Dean. You know, the one who you passed off your mark to." I cross my arms.

Cain chuckles. "Oh, you sound like a Winchester all right. But a demon? Isn't that a twist?"

"What have you done?" Cas asks him in horror.

"These bodies? Just cleaning up a mess I made a long time ago."

"Cain, I know what you were. But you'd resisted for so long."

"What can I say? I got the taste back." Cain steps closer, which makes me tense up even more. "With Abaddon's army gunning for me, I had to take up arms again, and I liked how it felt."

"Those were demons. These..."

Cain bends down to pick up a muddy, stuffed teddy bear. "Humans. Eh, the Mark thirsts for all kinds."

"This is a massacre."

"And you thought what I did was bad?" I mutter out of the corner of my mouth. Cas gives me a severe look.

"Yes," says Cain, answering Cas. "And soon it'll be a genocide." He drops the bear to the ground. "My children, my whole poisoned issue. A lot of them out there right now...killers, fighters, thieves, some more peaceful than others. But they still carry it...the disease. If the Mark wants blood, I'll give it mine."