16. A "Genius" Idea

16. A "Genius" Idea

Even though Sam's accepted me for being a demon, he's still not one-hundred percent comfortable being around me. I didn't expect him to be hugging me like old times.

It's been a little bit since the massacre at Randy's place. Instead of feeling the post-thrill adrenaline, all I feel is disgust. How I just let myself go to town...

I could have done so much worse, I could have been on Dean's level. What I did was practically nothing. Yes, I killed four people, but Dean's total surpassed mine.

I'm outside, leaning against my truck. I haven't interacted with Dean since the massacre. I'm sure by now Sam has talked to him about our conversation, and how Sam finally believes that I'm their sister again.

I peel away from my truck as I see a shabby-looking yellow car park near the Impala. Cas gets out, and I can't help but laugh at little.

"Nice ride, Cassie," I say fondly. But even his nickname doesn't even lighten him up. "What's wrong?"

"Claire."

I quirk my lips into a lopsided frown. "How is she?"

The pain in his eyes says it all. I sigh, pressing his forehead against mine, rubbing his hair with my fingers.

"Thank you for the effort, Josette," he says.

"I don't like you like this," I say, pecking him on the mouth. "And to feel like this because of one girl..."

"She's not just a girl, Josette. She's the daughter of the man whose body I took."

"Right." I look down.

"How are you?" He feels the scabs on my face.

"Sam," I say. "We're okay now. It took some time, and a lot of talking. I will give him props for being the cautious hunter that he is."

"I'm sorry, for—for helping him out."

"I'm not mad at you," I say honestly. "I'm not mad at either of you. I promise."

"At least your interrogation didn't lead to more harm, or an exorcism."

"Has that happened before?"

"There was someone, once, before you came around. Sam and Dean took her in. She had a demon inside of her, and it came out to play. They got it out, but the demon did some serious damage. I wasn't there to witness it. Dean...h-he told me about it. I was hoping that wasn't going to be you, Josette. I couldn't even think...about Sam doing something like that to you."

"He didn't," I tell Cas firmly. "I'm okay, we're okay. This is water under the bridge now. Come on." I move away, grabbing his hand as I lead him to the bunker.

The second we step inside, I lose my grip on Cas's hand. I'm the first down the stairs, hand gliding along the railing. Sam's on his laptop.

"Hey, Cas," he greets my angelic boyfriend. Yeah, I haven't thought about Cas as my boyfriend for a while. Maybe never, actually, before now. "How's Claire holding up?"

I make a gesture for Sam, but it's too late. He's already asked the question. I just got him feeling a little better, Sam.

Cas starts pacing in the library. "She barely speaks to me." Sam takes a seat at one of the tables, and I plant my ass on a table corner. "She's like a wounded animal, just watching me."