6. Flint, Michigan

6. Flint, Michigan

I do miss sleeping. I miss the dreaming, whether good or bad. It was my escape when things got a little too rough and realistic for me to handle. Now, I can't avoid that. Being a demon means no rest.

Thankfully, that doesn't keep me exhausted or anything, because shortly after our downtime, my brothers and I get ourselves a case up in Durham, Washington. The monster of the case: werewolves. Sam and Dean had met one on a previous case, named Kate, and really it turned out that we had been hunting Kate's sister, Tasha. Kate was trying to help her little sister adjust, because apparently there was a way to keep your werewolf self in control. But Tasha had other plans, turning people and wanting to become a leader of her own pack.

We'd come close to killing her, more so Dean and I had been close. The darkness in me had egged me on to do it. Thank God I saw reason, because Kate would've tried to rip my throat out. We let the sister werewolves go in the end, hoping we didn't run into them again.

So, now, we're holed up in a motel room. Since my truck is back at the bunker, we've just got Baby with us.

I step outside, making sure to keep the door shut quietly. My brothers are knocked out on the beds. The sky is lightening, promising morning sun. I lick my lips as I casually walk over to Baby, smiling nostalgically at her. She was my home after I lost my actual, physical home in Kansas. Most of that night isn't clear, as I had only been 2 at the time. All I got out of that is my fear of fire and being trapped in a burning building.

Hey, demons have to fear something.

"Sometimes I wish you were mine, but then I'd be breaking my truck's heart," I whisper to the Impala. As far as I can recall, I never got put behind the wheel of her. I'd only been in the passenger's seat or the back. Thankfully, I've had no appearances in the trunk. I've never been in the driver's seat, never really felt how she moved at the touch of my foot.

I look back at the closed motel door. I could slip in and snatch the keys away, take her for a small test drive. It wouldn't be hard, my brothers have been sleeping like the dead lately. Quiet noises won't wake them. And I've found as a demon, I've become lither.

Feeling a little mischievous, I head for the door. But by the time I get to the door, it's opened, and a very sleepy-looking Dean is my greeting.

"Well, good morning, sunshine," I tease him.

"I know better than to ask why you're up this early."

"I think I should be asking you that question." I ruffle my dark hair.

"Figured I'd do some work on Baby. You know, clean her out and whatnot."

"Want some help? Clearly I'm not out here for my health."

Dean smooths back his bedhead. "Yeah, uh, sure. Whatever you want."

"Come on, wake up some, chief." I pat him roughly on the back to jolt him a little more.

"Hey, you wanna go get a paper, scan through it and see if we can pick up a case?"

I purse my lips. "I thought we were taking it easy?"

"We weren't since the case in Durham, Jo. I'll start in the trunk."

"I guess I'll get the paper, then."

I leave Dean and the Impala behind to find the newspaper stand outside of the motel. The sun's rising, more light is shining now. I pick out a paper, walking back. Dean's already popped Baby's trunk open, shuffling around in there. Casually, I lean against her, unrolling the paper and skimming through it.