21. Clive Dillon and the Wizard of Oz

"Okay, here we go," says Sam. He, Charlie, and I are back in the bunker library. "Clive Dillon. He is the Man of Letters that first discovered the key to Oz. So, according to this incident report, Clive went to Oz, but he left the key on Earth, and then L. Frank Baum found the key and went to rescue Clive in Oz."

"That's when Dorothy snuck in along for the ride and got stuck there," says Charlie.

"Right. And then after Baum rescued Clive, Clive came back and retired."

My brows rise. "You can retire from the Men of Letters?"

"Well, apparently, they put him in some sort of, like, uh, witness-relocation program."

"Where did he end up?"

"Let's find out."

"Wait, there," I say. "The Men of Letters gave Clive a new name, a new house, both of which are still listed."

"I think Clive might still be alive," says Charlie.

I look at her strangely. "Y—well, he'd be, like, one-hundred-something." Then again, Sam and I had met Cuthbert Sinclair, who had looked fairly good for being ninety something. The perks of being in a world full of magic and monsters.

"Time passes differently in Oz. It's close by. Let's go look. If he's still kicking, he is the only person who might be able to fix the key to Oz."

"All right, let's go. I'll drive," I volunteer.

We program the GPS into one of the phones we have in my truck. Sam takes shotgun while Charlie gets in the back. I lick my lips, keeping an eye on where I'm going. I flinch as someone's phone rings.

"Dean," says Sam. From the corner of my eye, I see a phone against his face. "Hey, hold on. I'm putting you on speaker. What happened?"

"It's over," says Dean.

"What do you mean, 'it's over'?" I ask.

"She got to Russell. She killed him."

"Oh, my God," Charlie squeaks.

"Charlie, if you can hear me, I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault. It's mine."

"No, no, no. Don't—don't say that. This is not on you."

"Dean's right," I say.

"All right, let's, uh—let's try and stick to the plan, guys," says Sam.

"Did you guys find a way back to Oz?"

"Maybe," I say. "Uh, look, t-the Man of Letters who originally found the key—he's still alive. He lives in Junction City under the name Michael Carter. Sam will text you the address. Just come meet us."

"All right. I'm on my way."

I look in the mirror, seeing Charlie's hurt expression. The poor kid. Great, now I'm sounding like Dean, calling Charlie a kid. God, I'm showing my age.

I park the truck once we get to Clive Dillon's house. Charlie knocks on the door, and the man we presume to be the one we're looking for answers.

"Hello?" he says.

"Clive Dillon?" says Charlie.

"No. My name is—"

"Michael Carter, right," I say. "But it was Clive Dillon, wasn't it? Back in the Men of Letters? Back in Oz?"