38. Playing Referee

38. Playing Referee

"I thought I was clear, you two," Rowena says to us disdainfully. "I requested more time, not an assistant."

Sam and I have roped Charlie into helping save Dean's ass. I'd driven us back to the room Sam and I are holding Rowena in.

"I'm sorry, but did I not make it clear to you that Charlie isn't your assistant?" I sass the witch right back. "You're hers."

Rowena glares at Charlie. "And you studied your craft where?"

"Mostly a joint called Mass Java," says Charlie. "It has excellent Wi-Fi."

"I have not heard of this institution, and I know all the great global centers of witchcraft."

I roll my eyes. Leave it to Rowena to try and act all snooty about her witchcraft knowledge.

"Makes sense," says Charlie, "'cause I'm not a witch. I'm a nerd. And I know all the great centers of nerddom."

"Rowena, are you done marking your turf?" Sam says. "Listen, Charlie has the tech chops that'll speed up cracking Nadya's codex. You will spot the ancient curses and spells, and that'll put this whole mess in context."

"Oh, hey, Cassie," I greet the angel as he steps into the room.

"Cas," Charlie says as she notices him too. "Are you in on this, too?"

"Hell's bells," Rowena gasps. "More distractions?"

"Back off, witch," I say lowly.

"Easy, Jo," Sam warns me.

Rowena looks at me in amusement. "A bit tense, lass? Are you done marking your territory?"

"Not quite."

"Josette, please," says Cas.

Rowena looks at Cas, which makes me more annoyed. "What are you? Witch or nerd?"

"Angel."

"Beg pardon?"

"Castiel has, uh, powers...spiritual muscle that'll help safeguard the work," Sam explains.

"Safeguard it from what?"

"You," I say simply. "Sam can't be here full time to referee."

"Whoa, whoa," Cas butts in. "And I can?"

"Yes. Please. Please do this for us."

"Well, what are the rules? If I'm gonna referee, I should at least know them."

I sigh as Rowena looks at Cas oddly. "Quite literal, aren't you?" she says. "Does he know that the first rule is don't tell your brother what we're doing?"

"Wait...Dean doesn't know? Sam, Josette, this never ends well."

"That's exactly what I said," Charlie voices.

"Okay, everyone take a breath," I say bitingly. "Look, we're up against it, okay? And we've all been up against it before, and we know there are times when every choice sucks."

"Now, us...lying to Dean...is the choice that sucks the least," Sam says, bouncing off of my words. "We have to make this work. Please."

"Okay, yeah," Charlie agrees. "For Dean."

"Cas?"

"Okay. For Dean."