•Chapter 23•

"I don't know." Jace said, disbelief clear. How could Alec do this? How could he lead Meliorn, the man his sister's practically in love with, to his death? Jace, Clary, and I all made our way to where the door into the City of Bones was. Clary stood in front of it while Jace stood in front of her, and I stood a little to the left of him.
"Not too late to turn back." Jace said as Alec and Meliorn reached us.
"Quite. I won't tell you again." Alec was furious, but betrayal was what showed. How could he do this? We've been trying to make peace with downworlders, and here he is about to throw all of that away.
"Alec-" Jace started, only to be cut off.
"You told me you were taking Clary back to the institute. You lied to me."
"He did what he had to do." I hiss, my anger spiking. Alec was blinded by what his parents have been feeding him over the years.
"Alec, the clave has gone too far. You have to see that," Clary pleaded. "Please, just let Meliorn go."
"I have my orders." I scoffed, letting out a sarcastic laugh.
"You and your damn orders."
"Who cares about orders." Jace muttered.
"See? That's how little you know about being a Shadowhunter. You couldn't possibly understand-"
"It's you who doesn't understand, Alec." Jace snapped, cutting off his parabati. "Not this time." He turned to us, his eyes connecting with mine. "I'm sorry about this," Jace told Meliorn. "Clary, Meliorn, go. Now." They both ran off, leaving the three of us.
"You always broke the rules, but never the law, not until she showed up." Alec said angrily. I scoffed.
"If that's what you think then you're already too far gone." I hiss. How dare he blame this on Clary. "You've had it out for Clary since the start."
"And now you're getting married, Alec? We all know what this is about." Jace said, upset that Alec would even think of blaming Clary.
Oh, do we?" Alec said almost sarcastically. "Okay, why doesn't the legend, Jace Wayland, tell us what this is about?"
"It's about Claire! About your feeling for her!" Jace screamed, confusing me. I knew Alec had feelings for me, but they obviously weren't what I thought them to be. "It's because you're-" Jace was cut off, Alec attacking him. I yelped, stumbling back as Jace flew into me. I slammed into the ground, my hands barely catching me. I jumped up, shoving Jace out of the way as Alec went to slam him down onto the ground. I wheezed, the wind being know me out of me as Alec's body took me down instead. I didn't have time to process what was happening as Alec's blade was pressed against my neck. I glared up at him, kneeing him where the sun don't shine and flipping us over.
"Come with us!" Jace yelled, "We'll fight Valentinethe right way, together."
"If we do that we'll be considered traitors, like mom and dad."
"I'm begging you, my parabati, my brother." I got up, standing with Jace. "Please Alec, come with me." Alec just stared before his eyes hardened.
"No." I grit my teeth, but turned away. Jace grabbed my hand and we ran, finding Clary and Meliorn a few minutes later.
"Clary, we have to go." Jace said, interrupting Clary and Simon. "Meliorn is a wanted man, we have to get him back to the Seelie court where he's protected."
"I wish you could come with us." Clary said to Simon, much to my disapproval. Simon wouldn't be welcomed by the Seelies, they would see him as unstable.
"I've got a lot of stuff to work on here. Like controlling my murderous tendencies."
"We'll see each other soon."
"Before you know it." I tuned out of their conversation, not wanting to intrude.
I turned to Jace, biting my lip.
"I'll meet you there...I have some...things...to do." I said vaguely before rushing off.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I'm so sorry for taking forever, I have finals and have been studying like hell for the past two weeks. I won't be updating until next week probably but since it's summer I'll have a bunch of free time and will be able to write a lot. So hopefully il love able to get this book done in the next month or two. Anyways, thanks for reading.❤️