•Chapter 25•

"This better work." Magnus said, holding a glowing little pot.
"What does that do?" Clary asked, looking at the glowing little pot in his hands. Let's be honest, I was kind of hoping it would change him into his merry little self. I liked the Magnus from our dimension.
"Hopefully kickstart my magic." Magnus said, drinking the potion. Clary was quiet for a second, looking at him expectantly.
"And?"
"Give it a minute, Clary." I mumbled, flipping through a very old looking book.
"That book is very precious. Warlock spells preserved in all their grandeur." Magnus said, talking about the book in my hands.
"It's stunning." Clary told him, a small smile on her face. I shut it, standing up and walking over to a stand before putting it down. Turning to the two, I leaned against the wall.
"This isn't working," Magnus said abruptly, "this is the longest I've ever abstained." He sighed before muttering lowly to himself. I sighed, placing a small figurine down.
"Why don't you start with something simple, move that." He rolled his eyes but tried nonetheless. He grunted before giving up.
"Usually you have a little bit more of a flourish to it." I winced, thinking back to his dullness. I made a motion with my hands, imitating the Magnus from our world.
"I do not look like that." Magnus said, looking disgusted.
"Well..."I trailed off, sharing a look with Clary. He sighed before trying again, only to fail, again.
"Magnus, we just have to find the portal."
"Even if my magic was working, I'd still need an energy signature of some king to track it." My eyes lit up as I caught sight of Clary's necklace.
"What about that?" I asked, walking over to Clary and hooking my finger onto the necklaces chain.
"I don't know how this came into this dimension with us." Clary said confused.
"That's because it's from this dimension, it belongs here." Magnus told us. He took the necklace, gasping as it pulsed. "Oh, now that's what I'm talking about. We have lift off." Magnus said, both Clary and I smiling in delight. Finally a way out of this place.
"The energy is faint, it's been format for a long time, like me," he chuckled," let's see if we can wake it."
"Can you see it?"Clary asked after a moment. Magnus opened his eyes, having been silent for a few minutes.
"Yes. It's in a subbasement of Fort Knox." I chocked, Clary looking alarmed.
"Like literally Fort Knox?" Clary asked.
"No, but it might as well be," Magnus said, making me assume the worst, "the institute."
"Why is that a problem?" I asked, how hard would it be to break into an old abandoned church.
"High tech, high security. Impossible to get into."
"And hosting an anniversary party tonight that we have the hookup to." A phone chiming caught my attention, especially since it sounded like it was on me. I pulled my phone out and grimaced, reading my text from Izzy.
"Meet us tonight at the institute, 7 p.m and dress to impress." I told him, taking Clary's hand and rushing out of his apartment.

I rushed into Izzy's room, Clary on my heels.
"What's the emergency?" I asked, taking in the huge bruise under her eye. "Oh, my god. What happened?"
"Kickboxing class," she muttered sadly, "I thought, why not? Quick class after work. And, boom! Home in time to see you." I chuckled, biting my lip to hide my smile.
"Well you got the boom part right." Clary laughed.
"Andreas foot right in my face, she has to pick today to land her roundhouse?" She whined.
"Don't worry, we can fix it." I said, but she didn't hear me.
"Oh my god, what are people gonna think? And then Alec worked so hard to plan this. I can't just not go to the party. And what am I supposed to do? I worked so hard." She threw her hands up into the air. I grabbed her shoulders.
"Hey, we can fix it." I told her sternly, sitting her down on her bed. She nodded.
"Okay. But then we have to fix you and Jace, because the two of you not talking really messes with my chi." I rolled my eyes, starting to apply concealer over her bruise.
"Are you sure those are the right colors?" Izzy asked hesitantly.
"We'll  make it work." I told her, continuing to dab it on.
"Okay because if I don't show up to the party your dad and Simon are so gonna kill me." I nodded and kept working.
"So um, do you think you could get a friend of ours on the guest list for tonight?" Clary asked nonchalantly.
"Um well, if you make this work, I'll do anything for you," Izzy told her. I hid my smirk, we were so going to make this work.