Chapter 3 - One Year Ago

One year ago, May 2016

"I can't believe they are really planning to do it." I said to my parents as the three of us gathered at a top of a hill to observe the city from afar. The night view of the city was astounding, but it didn't appease the unease I felt within me.

"Relax, sweetie, they know what they are doing, they are all experts."

"Yeah, mum, I don't think so."

"Well, then let's wait to see if it really works or not." My dad tried to quell my anxiousness but it didn't work at all.

"Seriously? They are going to test out a cube that they found through an underwater expedition-I know, there were scientists, marine biologists and whatever experts they had out there in this expedition, but I don't believe that the cube is only used as a source of power."

"Sometimes we have to take risks." My father gave me a resigned smile, ruffling my hair and I huffed, crossing my arms across my chest as I leaned onto the railing, my eyes focused on the city.

There were protestors out there against the testing of the cube in our city, or anywhere else. However, despite their efforts, they were all simply ignored since they were a minority. Testing out the cube, which they believed provides unlimited power after a year of research, on the most peaceful city in the world?

That's asking for trouble.

"Yeah, but what about the consequences?" I questioned, taking a few steps back from the railing, my arms dropping from my chest.

Of course, I tripped again, due to not seeing the slight crack in the pavement, making me temporarily lose my balance. A pair of arms stabilized me and a sheepish smile appeared on my face, turning my head to the side.

"Thanks, dad."

Both of them chuckled at my usual clumsiness which never surprised them anymore. There was never a day that goes by without me tripping over something.

"Oh, it's starting." My mother interrupted the cheery atmosphere with a dreadful statement.

I bit on my lip, my eyes focused entirely on my beautiful city that was swallowed up by darkness by now. A few seconds later, the whole city lighted up, my nervousness gradually disappearing as I gazed in awe, my jaw gaping open at my beautiful city, the skyscrapers reaching up into the sky as the lights hastily ascended the building.

"Whoa." I whispered out, my eyes widening.

It actually worked, what a relief.

"I think we should head back now." My mother commented and we nodded in agreement, heading back to the car and my father slowly drove down the hill. My face was sticking close to the window, staring at the gorgeous view, the amazement on my face hardly disappearing.

Just then, I noticed something strange as lights started to disappear, one by one. It grew more rapid, and the entire city was gradually drowned in darkness.  A horrified gasp escaped from my mouth, my amazed expression twisting into one of concern; feeling apprehensive at the black out.