Chapter 21 - Selfishness

My eyes moved back to the screen, seeing the next clip starting to play and I quickly reached forward, hitting the spacebar button

My eyes moved back to the screen, seeing the next clip starting to play and I quickly reached forward, hitting the spacebar button. Instantly, I felt two pairs of questioning eyes on me and I gave them a sheepish smile. "Sorry, I just remembered something."

"What is it?"

"Then hurry up and spit it out."

Faviana Sanchez.

Her name sounds familiar.

"The woman's name sounds really familiar, I remember hearing it somewhere before." I said, looking at the computer screen, the video was paused and the woman's face was frozen on the screen. I frowned, deep in thought.

"What did she say her name was again?" Kim asked, obviously bad with names like she once said, even with my name.

"Faviana Sanchez." Her name rolled off my tongue easily, and I was a little surprised at how I could pronounce her name without difficulty.

"How do you spell it?"

"I have a guess on how it should be spelled, here." Nathan answered Kim, thrusting his hand into his pocket and taking out his smartphone. He swiftly typed at his keyboard, showing Kim his phone and I leaned in closer.

"Damn, I know that name. While I was invisible in Alexander's office, I peeked at his documents and letters, seeing her name several times. I skimmed through the contents, since I had limited time to stay invisible in there." Kim clicked her tongue and her words made Nathan confounded, judging by his baffled look on his face.

"How did you not get caught going in or out? Didn't you say our powers are slowly drained if we are within range of that building?"

"When I first decided to spy on him, I couldn't even enter the building properly, I almost got caught. Then I copied his schedule from his secretary, who was particularly meticulous. His schedule had everything, his mealtimes, when he exited or entered the building, who he was meeting and where, et cetera. I calculated the time I was allowed in there, when my powers would run out and planned everything out, it took me many trials and error." Kim explained and I was impressed at how she did not answer sarcastically or include any mean comments.

"Wow, such dedication." Nathan praised Kim for her tenacity and it was apparent that Kim didn't appreciate that comment of his.

"I'm doing this for a reason, not because I like it."

"I didn't say anything about you liking it." Nathan furrowed his eyebrows at her and I glanced between the two of them, leaning back towards the screen.

"Alright, I'll ask my father about the woman later, let's just continue watching the video for now." I quickly hit the spacebar button, not wanting this discussion to proceed to an argument.

"It's been a few weeks since we discovered the cube. Research shows that the cube provides tremendous power, let's just say its power is unlimited. The material it's made from, what's inside of it and the origin of this cube is unknown, we couldn't figure out anything else other than the unlimited power it provides. For now, the exploration team leaders aren't sure what to do with it and they just plan to research further on it."