Chapter 17

“I don’t think I’m doing this right.”

“I don’t think you are either.”

“Relax, you’re thinking too hard.”

“It’s going to burn!”

Priya and Payal were busy in the kitchen.  Priya had convinced the chef to let her have the kitchen so she could teach Payal how to cook some traditional Indian dishes.  As of now, they both were struggling.  

“Payal, don’t put that much in there.” commanded Priya.  

“A little more won’t hurt anyone.” Payal replied, adding a pinch or two of salt to the concoction resting on the stove.  

“You’re going to give your future husband food poisoning.” teased Priya.  

“Future husband? No thank you.” Payal replied.  

“Payal, you have to get married.” Priya said.

“No I don’t.” Payal answered non-chalantly.  She started chopping vegetables.  Priya reached over and stopped her.  

“Yes you do.  Baba will be so disappointed if you don’t.” Priya tried to reason.  

“I’ll only marry the man I love.” declared Payal, stubbornly.  

“Payal, that’s against our traditions.” Priya said.  

“Traditions are meant to be changed.” Payal answered.  

“Look how happy Aman and I are.  Don’t you want to be happy?” Priya asked.  

“I can be happy with a love marriage.  Jija-ji is amazing! You got lucky with him.  Not everyone gets that lucky.  Plus, who wants to get married? I’m staying single for as long as possible.” Payal said.  

“Why are you saying this all of a sudden?” Priya replied.  

Payal looked away.  She turned so that Priya couldn’t see her face.  

“No reason,” replied Payal quietly.  

“Good morning! What’s cooking?” Aman asked, excitedly as he entered the kitchen.  

He took in the sight of the two sister before him and paused.  

“Did I interrupt one of your sister moments?” he asked.  

“No Jija-ji. Not at all.  Come taste my cooking!” Payal exclaimed.  

Aman strode forward, eager to taste what Payal had made.  If Payal had half the ability that Priya had, Aman would definitely be in for a treat.  He took a spoonful of the aromatic concoction from the pot and carefully tasted it.  Suddenly, Aman stopped chewing and shot Priya a look.  Priya scrunched her eyebrows in confusion, while Payal stood there smiling widely.  

“Don’t you like it?” she questioned.  

Priya looked at Aman cautiously.  Aman reluctantly swallowed.  What seemed like pain was apparent on his face.  

“It was…” Aman started.  He was at a loss for words.  

“What?” Payal asked.  She took a spoonful for herself and tasted it.  Immediately she spat out what she had just cooked.  

“Oh. My. God.  That was terrible.” Payal announced, “How did you swallow that?” she asked.

Aman took the spoon and handed it to Priya.  

“Please, don’t ever let Payal cook again.” he pleaded.

Priya giggled while Payal feigned hurt.  Aman tried to stifle a laugh but was unsuccessful.