Chapter 40

“What do you mean?” Aman said, confused.  

“Tamanna, the woman you…you know, came here.” Priya repeated.  

“When?” Aman asked in disbelief.  

“While you were in the shower just now.” Priya answered, as she started to rewrap Aman’s bandages.  

“What the hell did she say?” Aman asked, irritated that Tamanna had the nerve to come back to his house.  

“She told me what you told me.  Youre infidelity wasn’t as severe as I thought and that night…you thought about me.” Priya said, while she applied some medicine to Aman’s wounds.  

“Priya,” Aman stopped Priya from tending to his wounds, getting her undivided attention. “Why did you believe her and not me?”

Priya looked down, unsure how to answer without offending Aman.  

“Well, she had nothing to gain. You did.” Priya started.  

“Meaning?” Asked Aman.  

“She doesn’t know me. I don’t know her, but she still came all the way down here and she took your side.  I thought you convinced her to come and see m-”

“No I didn’t!” Aman interrupted.  “I don’t talk to her at all anymore, Priya.  You have to believe me.”

“She said the same thing. You two don’t talk anymore, and you had nothing to do with it.  Aman, I thought you were just telling me what I wanted to hear, so I’d forgive you.  When Tamanna came and told me everything that you told me, I had no reason not to believe her.” Priya explained.  

Aman was quiet.  He looked saddened by what Priya had just told him.  

“You believed her over me.” He stated quietly.  

“Aman.” Priya said.

“She’s a stranger. I’m your husband.” Aman said, a little angrily.  

“It’s because a stranger, Aman.  That’s why I believed her.  She could’ve come here and said horrible things about that night you two spent together.  She could’ve told lies that would have made me forget the very notion of ever forgiving you, but she didn’t.” Priya said.  

“That doesn’t make her a good person, Priya. She’s a bitch who caused all these problems in the first place.” Aman replied.  

“Aman, you’re at fault too.” Priya said quietly.  

“Why are you taking her side?” Aman asked, still angry.  

“I’m not! I’m just trying to tell you why I believe her.” Priya replied.  

“I’ve been apologizing to you ever since I told, and you wouldn’t forgive me.  She comes by one time and talked to you for five minutes, and you suddenly decide you can forgive me.” Aman said, the volume of his voice rising.  “That’s bullshit!”

“Aman, why are you so angry?  I’ve forgiven you.  Isn’t that what you wanted?” Priya replied, surprised by Aman’s anger.  

“It’s all I wanted, Priya, but this wasn’t the way I wanted it to happen.” Aman said calmly.  

“I’m sorry.” Priya said, feeling like she’d done something wrong.  

“Don’t apologize.  You didn’t do anything.  I just...I hate that she came here. I never wanted you two to meet.” Aman admitted.  

“Can I finish this?” Priya asked, pointing to Aman’s half wrapped bandages.  

“Of course.” Aman said, leaning forward and letting go of Priya’s hands so she could continue bandaging his wounds.