Chapter 47

“This night couldn’t get any longer.” Aman complained as the dinner for the evening began being served.  “I thought after the last award was presented, we’d be able to leave, but no! They want to feed us too.” Aman continued bitterly. 

            Priya bit back a laugh. 

            “Oh come on! This food looks amazing!” Hiten commented, his mouth watering at the sight of the chicken in front of him. 

            “Yeah Jija-ji, what’s the hurry?  It feels like we’re at the Oscars!  I never want this night to end!” Payal chimed in. 

            Aman looked at Payal wide-eyed.  He wanted this night to end as soon as possible.  He looked over at Priya, who just seemed so incredibly amused by the whole situation.  It’s like she actually enjoyed seeing Aman suffer.  Aman sighed, accepting defeat.  He decided that the best thing he could do in this situation was be cordial, instead of bitter.  Maybe actually being open to enjoying the rest of the evening would make it pass by more quickly. 

            Aman silently ate his chicken.  He glanced over at Priya again and was surprised to find her eyes on him.  He held her gaze for a moment before leaning over and whispering to her. 

            “Are you alright?” He asked her. 

            “I’m fine.” She said, looking away.  She continued eating her dinner. 

            Aman continued to watch her.  She seemed normal, but something about her was off.  Maybe she wanted to get this evening over with just as quickly as he did so they could celebrate their first anniversary properly…or maybe she was upset that he hadn’t done more to commemorate such an important day in their lives.  Aman sank deeper and deeper into thought, and the more he thought about it, the more he convinced himself that Priya was upset with him. She contributed very little to the conversation, which would have been common in any other business setting, but she was always vibrant and chatty with Payal.  Tonight, she was simply quiet. 

            “Aman! Hello! Yooohooo!! Earth to Aman!” Hiten tried to get Aman’s attention. 

            “Yeah?” Aman said, breaking this train of thought. “What? Sorry.”

            “Where have you been this entire evening?  You’re missing such an important conversation!” Hiten replied. 

            “Sorry, what conversation?” Aman said, giving Hiten his undivided attention. 

            “Do you think I look better in suits or in casual wear?” Hiten smiled. 

            “What the hell?” Aman blurted out. 

            “It’s a serious question! Aditi says suits, but I think casual!  Be the tie-breaker!” Hiten explained. 

            “Ummm….suits.” Aman said halfheartedly. 

            “Wow! Way to be enthusiastic,” Hiten commented sarcastically.  “You always take her side!” He whined.  “Bhabhi, what do you think?”

            “Suits are much better, but tuxedos are my favorite.” Priya said, eyeing Aman. 

            Aman looked down at his tuxedo.  He shot Priya a smile.   She sure knew how to make him feel better.  He noticed Hiten’s expressions falter, once he looked down at the grey suit he was wearing.  Hiten looked up at Aman’s tuxedo.