Chapter 23

Children? Priya immediately sat up.  Aman followed suit.  Priya didn’t know what to say.  She was so shocked by what Aman had just told her.  

“We can’t. We’ve already had this conversation.” Priya said.  

“I know we have, but that was when we’d just met each other, and we lived in separate bedrooms.  I thought maybe since we’re actually living like husband and wife, it would make sense to think about children now.” Aman explained.

“I-I’m not ready for children. It’s a big responsibility to have children, and we aren’t in love.  A child needs a loving family.” Priya replied.  

“We don’t have to be in love. We can just love our child.” Aman countered.  

“No.” Priya said simply.  

“Priya, you’re being unreasonable.” Aman stated.  His voice seemed calm with no hint of anger.  

“I’m sorry,” Priya apologized.

“Don’t be.  I don’t need you to be sorry. I need you to be my wife.” The desperation was apparent in his voice.  Aman inched closer to Priya.  His hand slowly traced down her arm.  He laid her back down on his bed and hovered over her.  

“I don’t…” Priya began.  

“Just for tonight.” Aman interrupted.  He kissed Priya’s cheek and began to nuzzle her neck.

Priya’s body stiffened.  She felt Aman kiss down her neck.  She suddenly pushed him off and sat up again.  Aman groaned in frustration.  

“Dammit Priya,” Aman said, irritated.  

“I’m sorry.” Priya said quickly.  “I really am.”

“Isn’t the point of getting married to have children?  What the hell is the purpose of a marriage with no children?” Aman replied.  

“Not all couples have children. They get married because…” Priya stopped.  

“because they love each other and want to be together for the rest of their lives.” Aman finished what Priya wanted to say.  

Priya looked down uncomfortably.  Aman sat up and looked at Priya.  

“Look, every businessman has children so that those children will grow up and take over the company.  It’s why my father, who absolutely loathes children, had me, and it’s why we need to have children.  Now Priya, I’m trying so hard to make you comfortable.  We have to have children sooner or later.  I’m not thrilled about the added responsibility, but our children are the only one who can take over the business.  You understand, right?”  Aman explained. His gazed was so intensely fixed on Priya that she couldn’t bear to meet it.  

“I understand.” Priya replied in barely a whisper.  

“Good.  You’re right. Now isn’t the time, but one day…”Aman trailed off.  

“Of course. One day.” Priya agreed, giving Aman a fake smile.

“Great.  Goodnight Priya.” Aman said.  He laid back down and turned his back to her.  

Priya laid down beside him.  Her eyes were fixed to the ceiling.  She sighed knowing she wasn’t going to get much sleep tonight.  

Payal sat at the kitchen table with a serious expression on her face.  She clutched her coffee mug tightly as she focused on her thoughts.  When Aman and Priya came downstairs and joined her in the kitchen, she didn’t even notice.