Chapter 20

“Oh my darling Priya, don’t scream.  No one can hear you.  You might as well enjoy this moment.”  Rakesh said.  

He maintained his firm grip on the end of her sari, but no longer pulled at it.  Instead he walked closer to her, enveloping her in his arms.  She tried to pull away, but his grip was too strong for her. He pushed her up against the wall and tried to kiss her.  Priya strained her neck, desperately trying to move away from him.  Rakesh held onto her arms so tightly that Priya was sure bruises her forming.  Suddenly Rakesh forced her forward and slammed her hard against the wall.  Priya cried out in pain, but Rakesh ignored her.  He was furious that she wouldn’t let him kiss her.  

“I wanted to be romantic, Priya, but if you’re going to act this way, I might just have to get rough.” Rakesh threatened.  He again slammed her against the wall.  He pulled her forward and slapped her hard across the face.  Priya fell to the floor.  She could feel blood in her mouth.  She scooted back as Rakesh moved forward.  He removed his belt and tossed it aside. He started to unbutton his shirt, still walking forward.

“Rakesh, please don’t.” Priya begged.  She couldn’t stop the tears from falling.  

Rakesh smiled at her.  He leaned down to the floor where she was and cupped her cheek with his hand.  

“Priya, don’t cry,” he nearly whispered, “You’ll enjoy this, I promise.” he said.  He pulled at her sari again.  

“No! Stop! Rakesh, please don’t do this.”

“Payal, have you seen Priya?” Aman asked Payal, who was deeply in conversation with Rajiv.  

“Huh? Nope, haven’t seen her.” She said, briefly before turning her attention back to Rajiv.  The couple had danced through almost a dozen songs and decided to return to the table for a little break.  

Aman scanned the room and didn’t see Priya anywhere.  Surely she would’ve told him if she went anywhere.  

“Wait! She went outside, I think.” Payal suddenly remembered.  

“Outside? Why?” Aman asked.

“I don’t know. She didn’t say.” Payal answered.  

“Did she go with somebody?” Aman replied.

“I don’t think so. I saw her leave alone.” Payal said.  

Why would Priya just leave by herself?  Aman decided that he needed to look for her.  He left the room, where the party was being held and made his way through the lengthy hallway to the nightclub area.  He doubted Priya would be here, but it couldn’t hurt to look anyways.  

He started looking for Priya’s sari.  No one else would be dressed in one.  He looked at girls with dark hair and scanned their outfits, trying to find a sari.  The lighting was dimmed and colorful, making it difficult to make out facial features.  Aman couldn’t find her.  He started to become worried.  He then walked outside into the cold New York breeze, but the streets were empty of pedestrians. The cold had forced everyone inside.  Aman shivered slightly as he walked down the road.  He walked around the building even though he doubted Priya would be out here when it was this cold.  She must be inside somewhere.  

“Priya, don’t worry. Aman doesn’t have to know.” Rakesh said.  He’d unwrapped her sari.  Priya attempted to cover her torso with her arms.  She felt so ashamed.  

“Don’t try to hide from me.” Rakesh said, pulling her hands away.  He held them firmly above her head.  His eyes scanned her length of her torso, lingering on her breasts.  She mentally kicked herself for wearing that skimpy backless blouse that didn’t cover much in the front either.