Chapter 27

Aman woke up to an empty bed and a steaming bowl full of guilt.  Tamana had left soon after he’d fallen asleep.  She was smart girl and knew exactly when to make herself scarce.  Aman wondered whether she’d done this before, whether or not enticing men in night clubs and spending an eventful night with them was something she did often.  Soft sounds of bangles clinking together drifted into his bedroom.  Aman’s heart clenched with guilt.  Priya.  How could he have done something so malicious to her?

He couldn’t face her, not yet.  He felt so damn guilty! He knew that many men of his stature kept a wife at home and did whatever they fancied with whomever the fancied elsewhere.  He knew his father acted the same way.  And he vowed never to be like his father, but here he was cheating on his wife just like his father had.  

“I cheated on Priya.” the word felt bitter as they left Aman’s mouth.  

Hiten’s mouth hung open in shock.  He couldn’t even fathom what was happening.

“What the hell are you talking about?” Hiten said with a hint of anger.  

“I cheated on Priya last night.  When you left to go off and flirt, I wanted to dance so I found someone.” Aman admitted.

Hiten’s boisterous laughter that followed Aman’s explanation confused Aman.  He was feeling so guilty that he couldn’t even be near Priya, and here his best friend was laughing at him.  

“Dancing with another woman isn’t considered cheating. You scared me for a second.” Hiten said.  

“I didn’t only dance with her.  We had sex.” Aman continued.  

Hiten’s laughter faded fast.  He looked at Aman in disbelief.  

“What the hell is the matter with you? Just because bhabhi is a little reluctant doesn’t mean you go off and screw some damn hussy you met at a club!” Hiten exploded.

“I know! I regret doing it.” Aman said, guiltily.  

“Did Bhabhi find out?  Are you going to tell her?” Hiten asked.

“She doesn’t know. I’ve been avoiding her. I can’t tell her, Hiten. She’ll hate me.” Aman said.  He’d left early and went straight to Hiten’s house so he wouldn’t have to face Priya.  He felt like such a coward.  

“She’ll divorce you.” Hiten replied seriously.  

“There’s a clause in our contract that says in the event of a divorce, our merger will be partially dissolved. The losses will be monumental.  Her father would never forgive her.  She’s not going to divorce me.” Aman explained.  He remembered when how she’d cried when he told her father he’d divorce her if he made Payal marry Rakesh even though he never intended on going through with it.  

“She’s stuck.” Hiten blurted.  

“What do you mean?” Aman asked.  

“She can’t even leave you! If she finds out and she hates you, she’ll have to spend the rest of her life with a man she hates!” Hiten said.  

“Shit!”Aman replied.  There Hiten goes again, making sense when you least expected it.  He was absolutely right. There was no way Aman could let Priya find out about this.  

“What are you going to do? Are you going to see her again?” Hiten asked, not really wanting to know that answer.

“No. The guilt is already killing me.  I’m never seeing her again. I hope Priya doesn’t find out.” Aman replied.