Nineteen: Questions

NEUER POV

The campsite got bigger since Mats' arrival. We've been working twice now because we need more food. Boa and Shkodran had been hunting but they always come back empty handed. Bastian still can't walk, his leg looks worse every day and he spends a lot of time quiet and feeling powerless because he can't walk well.

André and Mats have been washing our clothes on the waterfall. We have divided the work so anyone can do something, even Bastian has helped, he usually folds the clothes or helps cooking. I've been out almost every day, looking for food and people. Something tells me there has to be more people in here, alive.

"Are you okay?" I asked Mats. He was sitting on top of a rock, his hands resting on his thighs and his eyes lost looking to the sky. He jumped a bit when he heard my voice and looked at me quickly. He nodded, his dark eyes with big dark circles around.

"You don't look good." I said sitting next to him. He sighed loudly and sat now with his knees under his chin. He looked at me and smiled.

"Thanks." He simply said. I shook my head and laughed.

"I am not kidding, you look... Worried." I said narrowing my eyes. There was definitely something wrong with him and I needed to know what was.

He shook his head slowly and the features on his face told me he was meditating something, he was unsure about telling me. He frowned and pressed his lips into a thin line.

"You can trust me." I insisted, looking away since I didn't want him to feel pressure to open up.

He sighed loudly and nodded finally. He looked at me and opened his mouth to say something but soon André interrupts and shake hands with Mats.

"Hey guys... What you talking about?" He asked us.

"Not much. You need help?" Mats quickly said standing from the rock and walking back to the camp.

"Actually yes. I need to bring the clothes back to the camp, they're dry now..." I stopped hearing their voices once they walked away.

I couldn't stop thinking that there was something Mats knew and he didn't want us to know, otherwise he would have told me about it and even before... He has been here for over a week now, if he wanted us to know he would have told us since day one.

***

"So... Mats, how was your awakening?" Bastian asked as he started eating a couple of blueberries. We were sitting around the fire, in the middle of the camp. Every one turned around to look at Mats. He was holding a mango on his hands. He opened his eyes widely and shook his head faltering.

"I don't- I don't remember well actually-

"It's okay. We'll take anything." Bastian insisted. I looked at him and he seemed determined to take out information from him. I felt Boa's gaze over me, his severe eyes on me.

"I... I guess I opened my eyes and found my head resting on a pile of debris – He shook his head and closed his eyes as he was trying to remember something – then I stood a bit stunned and confused, I didn't know what was going on." He said scratching the back of his head.

"I- I saw fire around, some trees burning to the ground. But everything was quiet. I didn't see anybody nor hear anyone that night." He said.

"Were you hurt?" André asked, Mats nodded quickly.

"Yes. I got a big cut in my chest and some bruises and I am pretty sure I had a concussion." He said touching his head.

André looked down a bit ashamed, maybe he didn't expect that answer.