Episode One: Not a Good Day to Die #15

Fox arrived for the daily debriefing with Lannister to discover Lannister carrying Fox's nephew Tanner around the briefing room, showing him the space ships.

"Sir?" he said.

Lannister smiled. "Peeta got wind of Grandma Fox's plan to cook me tamales, for Ray, you know. Insisted he needed to learn how to make authentic "earth" food. They are upstairs cooking up a storm. You're staying, too." He added as he crossed the conference room.

Walsh stepped inside, followed by Manika, the Consortium co-captain and a handful of others. Lannister went to one of the zero gravity shoots and called up it, "Emma?" He sat Tanner in the tube. Tanner hung in space, giggling madly and squirming. Lannister inspected him gravely, shook his head and then turned him upside down. Tanner giggled even harder as Lannister pushed him gently upward.

"Gotch'ya," Emma called at the top, pulling Tanner out of the shoot.

Fox watched Lannister as everyone found a seat. He'd worked alongside the captain for a long time, thought he knew him well. But that was on naval ships, among men his own age. To see him here, in a post that involved civilian interaction, it a novel experience.

The meeting was short. There hadn't been any major incidents since Ray's attempt to manufacture meth. After he dismissed the men, Lannister called Walsh over and the three went up the zero gravity lift as the others filtered out the door.

Grandma and Peeta were in the kitchen, talking like they were long lost relatives or something. Emma was sitting towards the back of the room, with Ray.

"They said I could come for a couple hours," Ray said. "Then I have to go back for the night."

Fox nodded. "They have you scrubbing dirty aquaculture tanks like Kellii promised?" he asked with a wry smile.

"Just for the morning. Not so bad really. This afternoon they made me take some exam."

"School is about the worst punishment in Ray's book," Emma joked.

"Educational potential exam," Lannister said. "I've heard of it. One of my sailors volunteered for it while we were on the base. How did it go?"

"I've only begun." Ray stood and looked uncomfortable. "I, fuck, sorry pardon my language sirs. I just, they did a brain scan and stuff. Said I'd have to retake the exam later anyway, because... It's one thing when people tell you that drugs and shit will rot your brain. It's another when they have a scan and show you. I swear, never again. Never. I'll work hard. I'll stay clean."

"They can fix the damage though?" Emma asked.

Ray nodded. "Some treatment. Eating healthy. Doing some meditation shit. Should be normal in six months, a year. The woman said I'd probably rate tech or maybe even advanced tech if I work hard on my education. That's plenty good enough to get a solid job."

"I'm glad to hear it, Ray," Lannister said.

"And bless you for giving him another chance," Grandma said as she came over and gave Lannister a half hug. "And the tamales are ready."

They all headed for the table, where Peeta was already piling on the food.