Episode Four: Meteor #4

The next morning Dan woke early, showered and dressed for his day. The cook was an elderly local woman and breakfast was fried eggs, on top of a stew of beans and vegetables. Close but not quite, Dan smiled at the thought, remembering so many breakfasts on the Corelean, the cooks eager to serve what they saw as "earth" food, but always with some Consortium twist. Still this breakfast smelled good and Dan took his bowl and found a seat.

Aloka sat next to him.

"Are you on shift?" he asked, reminding himself that this would have to dictate his behavior from now on.

She shook her head no. "I have late watch."

"I will take over after breakfast," he said. "It's good to see you again."

"You as well. I'm happy for this opportunity." She paused. "Thank you, for getting me this job. I went to the market the other day, on my day off," she said. She shook her head. "So many beautiful things. So expensive. I make twice what I did on my last job and if this didn't come with room and board, I should be living in a tube, I swear. I don't know how people do it."

"Is it so bad?"

She gave an impish grin. "No. Well, it is. But to live here! I never thought I would live in a place so grand. The parks, the statues, the markets. They are gorgeous. Its incredible. Have you seen the zoo? They say it's incredible."

"So I've heard. Bakala said we would go sometime," Dan replied. "Speaking of, how is Runningbear? You still see him?"

Aloka's face darkened. "It didn't work out."

"I'm sorry."

She shrugged. "I'm glad you and Bakala keep in contact. Hopefully he'll come. It would be good to see him again. He was a good boss to work under."

"Yeah he's good..."

"To be under?" she finished with another impish grin. "I bet."

Dan blushed and smiled.

They spoke for awhile longer, small talk, while they ate. Dan excused himself as he saw the night shift lead coming his way.