Episode Three; Eggs #4

"We should check in with our new medical wing on our way down," Jack said at Zeta's side. "Or do you want the morning off, with Maka?"

"No that's fine. I have duties to attend to. He understands," She replied. She rubbed the back of her hand nervously.

There was something about the way Jack watched Maka at breakfast. It was too much like the way other friends watched Maka. She'd never had such a handsome and outgoing man pursue her so ardently. She knew in the back of her mind that her position, the influence he thought she had, was part of it. But I like to think part of it is me. Was it? Or was that just a pleasant fantasy?

She pushed the thought of Maka and Jack to the back of her mind.

"I would like to see the baby again, make sure the mother is getting settled okay. I think grandma is going to take some time off and stay. She does secretarial work I believe. Wonder if her background check is clean? I could use another hand around the office." He was rambling, not noticing her own nerves.

They took the local lift from the captain's quarters to the medical wing. She followed Jack inside. The mother was in the lounge, eating at one of the tables and holding the egg under her arm.

"There's our little mother," Jack said. "And baby." He smiled down at the egg. "Isn't it fascinating?"

"Umm, yes, it is," she replied. Out of the corner of her eye she caught Bankim, the chief healer for the wing, watching her closely. She blushed. Her anxiety peaked and she fought to keep from shaking.

Jack was clueless. How could he know? And yet Zeta wasn't sure she'd get used to the fact that he and the other Earth side humans didn't know, didn't understand the politics of humans and squids.

Shannon Otterdance had said something similar after their last council meeting. A strong native woman, she was used to fighting for her place among a surface culture were sexism and racism were omnipresent. Among the Consortium such distinctions were meaningless, poorly understood. It was a pleasant change, most of the time, she said. But many times it left her unbalanced, trying to figure out what the Consortium council members really thought.

Zeta was in the exact opposite place. It was the earth humans that saw her appendages, her skin color as just an oddity, not signs of forbidden science. She was a crime in the eyes of men like Bankim. She'd never escape that.

"Are you ready?" Jack said. "You're miles away."

"What?" she asked, bringing herself back to the present moment. Out of the corner of her eyes she could see Bankim still watching her.

Jack just laughed. "Those idioms again," he joked. "Miles away, mentally, not physically. Means you are daydreaming."

"Yes, I was thinking... We should be going. The elevator will be here any minute."

They left the medical wing. Jack strolled at a casual pace. Zeta, at his side, fled.

Thanks for reading. I hope you are enjoying the story so far.