Episode Six: Africa #13

They headed back first thing the next morning. Jake and Chatura were placed together, and Chatura took the first shift. He seemed content behind the wheel, and Jake had a chance to explore the back of the cab.

He pulled his phone out while he was in the back. To his surprise, he had a signal. Moments later, his mom called.

"Jake! Where are you?" Mom demanded.

"Mom, it's okay. I'm okay," he said, deflecting.

"It's been almost a week."

"I'm okay," he repeated.

"Where are you? What have you been doing? I've been worried sick."

Something held his tongue. "You were right. The other day. You can't take care of all of us. It's too much to expect. I don't want to be a burden."

"Oh Jake, you aren't a burden. I'm sorry if I ever made you feel that way. Just come home, please."

There was a noise from the front of the truck and then Chatura's voice. "Can you help navigate the next turn for me?" Chatura had taken to driving well for someone who had lived his whole life without any sort of vehicle, but he couldn't divide his attention between the road and the map the way Jake could.

"Mom, I can't. In fact, I have to go now."

"Are you somewhere safe?"

The middle of Africa. A few miles from an outbreak of Cholera. Probably not what she would consider somewhere safe. "Yeah, I'm fine, Mom. Really I am. I just need to get back to work."

"Work?"

"Yeah, I found a job. I'll . . . I'll call when I can. Tell you more. But Chatura needs me up front."

"Jake, I love you."

"Love you too, Mom," he said and hung up. He went forward to help Chatura study the map, figure out their next turn.